Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA filter relocated below fender behind airdam!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So now you're drawing in air from the exact place that the factory airbox gets it, and you had to cut away part of your body? Sign me up!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:09 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not knockin on the intake idea...to each his own...its just that the timing belt is kind of important, and i dont see how the weight savings? benefits the fact that theres nothing protecting them from dust and debris...if he's worried about ozone deteriorating the belts, it takes more than 2 years for that to happen and if you follow the maintainence schedule you should change them every 2 years
Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Campeck is on the right tack here. Resonance tuning is what makes the CAIs for the Japanese cars work so well (not cold air as some would believe and the name implies). Yes, cooler air will make a difference, but it's so small as to be virtually immeasurable.

I think the key is in the AFM adapter. Campeck has about the best I've seen. I'm going to have one drawn in CAD and CNC machined for mine.

Campeck, if you don't see a gain, don't just say it doesn't work. You may need to tinker a bit with lengths and possibly even fuel pressure. Remember, our system does not have an MAF so changes in VE can quite easily screw with the mixture. You may go lean if it works well and may need to increase the fuel pressure.

When you dyno, try to get your A/F ratios, but only if they have a Horriba or similar high quality wide-band meter. The ones that come with many dynos are not that great.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect he's gonna see an improvement in mid-range torque with a slight loss in high-RPM HP. Still makes for a faster car. Send me your dyno-charts with air-fuel ratios and I'll make a chip for that configuration. I've got plenty of 944-spec car dyno-testing done with mappings for optimum power (and it's certainly not the stock mapping). There are some cam-gear mods you can do to restore the high-RPM HP as well.

"I think the concept of "ram-air" on a normally aspirated engine has been disproven in the past years."

Well... I wouldn't take the Firebird example as indicative of what ram-air can and cannot accomplish. You need a straight-shot funnel with parabolic shape. The Firebird's configuration is far, far from worthy; probably more marketing than anything else. The ram-air on motorcycles certainly works and boosts HP by 10-15%. And yes, you do need to be going at 100mph+ AND you need a fairly large scoop as well. Compare a 600cc motorcycle with a 2500cc car, combined with flow-rate function being proportional to the square-root of the pressure and you'll need a scoop about 4 feet wide and 1 foot tall in order to create the same effect as on a motorcycle. It's not black & white in terms of ram-air working or not, it's comes down to what kind of a configuration you need to devise in order for it to be effective.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 AM
ptk
Instructor

This is stupid idea. Your engine will not work with that very long. Now it works like vacum cleaner. Everything from the streets will now be in your engine.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Had the KN air filter on my Turbo-GSX-R mounted right on the compressor housing,in other words,right behind the front wheel and 6" off the deck. Worked perfectly for years. No hydrolocks,no excessive cleaning needs,no problems.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ptk
This is stupid idea. Your engine will not work with that very long. Now it works like vacum cleaner. Everything from the streets will now be in your engine.

OMG thats funny!
I know its a 'flame' (that has no validity or reason behind it) but MAN that was funny!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by ptk
That is interesting.. You mean I can use this setup to clean my driveway?????

Back on topic. It is a great idea as long as your filter is kept clean and check it a lot to make sure there is no damage from debri on the road. That is what I would worry about. A tear in that filter would be very bad. On another note, Why not just run the filter behind the headlight and make a MAF trap. That should get some cooler air?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
I'll contribute $100 to pay for an before and after dyno comparison between that and stock....
Thats almost 6 pulls

(3 for $60)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

very interesting setup. Just please avoid any puddles. Porsche actually sent out a tech bulletin a long while back about the 944 being a hydrolocking *****. In this bulletin they asked owners to drill 3 small holes in the intake tube going to the airbox to allow any water sucked in to run out.

Keep an eye out on it man, if you see any splash up along the pipe, then you may want to reconsider the use of a downpipe like that.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I don't know how K&N has gotten such a bad reputation on this board. I've run K&N's for years with no ill-effects. "

There were various posts and links to studies done showing K&N lets through more particles than the stock paper filter. What people don't realize is that it still filters out like 95-99% of the stuff compared to the stock filter with a 40-50% increase in flow. I ran a race car with no filters at all, just a couple of velocity stacks with a screen on them to keep the rocks out. I can tell you that without a filter, a 944 engine will last less than 1 month!!! So the K&N is doing its job if you've been running it for several years without needing an engine rebuild.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ok. you guys that are saying im not going to get enough air, or can just put it somwhere else are NOT GETTING THE POINT!

the point is not the amount of air im getting.
It's the LENGTH OF THE PIPE!

now lunch is over. farewell.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:40 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
ok. you guys that are saying im not going to get enough air, or can just put it somwhere else are NOT GETTING THE POINT!

the point is not the amount of air im getting.
It's the LENGTH OF THE PIPE!

now lunch is over. farewell.
Then why not run a snorkel, like in the original Hummer? This way, you'd get infinite adjustability (on the length of the pipe), fix the hyrdolock problem, AND you could Sawzall more body panels on the car.

Sounds like a win-win-win to me.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
ptk
Instructor

It is no secret that the sport air filters like that makes a little danger for engine even if they are placed in oryginal place.
Another minus of this installation is that you have radically changed the air pipe lenght. When you are putting the sport air filter you have to count how lenght should the pipe be.
I'm not telling that just because this is my fantasy. I have known people that they are playing with tuned cars even with 1000+ hp cars and I think that they know how it should work.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

When you are putting the sport air filter you have to count how lenght should the pipe be.
That's why he's doing this. He's empirically testing to figure out the right pipe length to get resonance in the intake flow.

Quick Reply: NA filter relocated below fender behind airdam!!!