Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 exhaust ??s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep taking my eye off the ball. I think what I should do after reading more posts is put the stock system back on minus the cat. Put the header money into a set of Koni's and dyno.. then later try the headers and dyno. Otherwise I will never know if it makes a difference.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:44 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's a better idea too.

I'm so confused, on any given day I go back and forth...do I try for headwork and a cam, go along with an A/C and balance shaft delete, and try my luck as an N/A? I'm sure I could come close to 200 (crank) HP.

Or, do I go the turbo route? Which often can be more frustrating tuning and tracking down parts?

Arrrrrgh. I kind of think N/A would be fun. But I don't know what to do. lol.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

On my 924S i have the MSDS headers and BB cat back. I love the BB cat back, i think its a great product and sounds very nice with minimal to no significant power gain. The MSDS headers are cheap, made of thin crappy metal and rust quickly. I have had them on for a few years and i'm taking them off soon to put the stock ones back on.

Also the MSDS ones are NOT DIRECT BOLT ON. They require cutting and welding the cat which makes it harder to switch back. I would advise nobody to get these. And if you really want them even after hearing this i'll send you my set in a few monthes when i take them off. It's either that or they go into the dumpster

Talk to you later!
Erich
Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

stock tubing on a N/A is 2.25", the 951's are 2.5" i know because i just did mine not 2 weeks ago. finally got mine acceptable and tired of spending money on it (the exhaust that is )
Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I bought the Bursch headers because they were the same cost as the replacement manifolds. I regretted the desicion within a few minutes of putting them on. The paint burned off within 5 minutes and left the worse smell. I think because the tubing is so thin, the exhaust is flexing causing the welds to break at the collector. At least, I have it repaired 3 times. The straight pipe for the cat delete is an inch shorter so you have to pull the muffler back to bolt the flange which results in soot on your bumper. I will never recommend them and as soon as I get around to doing my mounts, I will give mine away for free....if someone will take it.
The stock exhaust is well balanced for power and although SFR and other high end headers are nice, I don't think they are practical for the N/A on the street.

Stay stock and invest the money saved in the head!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:05 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Clint i've been trying to get in touch with you. Please email me. Sorry for the hijack
Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
I bought the Bursch headers because they were the same cost as the replacement manifolds. I regretted the desicion within a few minutes of putting them on. The paint burned off within 5 minutes and left the worse smell. I think because the tubing is so thin, the exhaust is flexing causing the welds to break at the collector. At least, I have it repaired 3 times. The straight pipe for the cat delete is an inch shorter so you have to pull the muffler back to bolt the flange which results in soot on your bumper. I will never recommend them and as soon as I get around to doing my mounts, I will give mine away for free....if someone will take it.
The stock exhaust is well balanced for power and although SFR and other high end headers are nice, I don't think they are practical for the N/A on the street.

Stay stock and invest the money saved in the head!
Don't throw them away, I am in Columbia and I would like to get them for you. I would like to try to use them as a template to make some better quality headers. Or at least try. If I do make some they will be direct bolt ons. Now what can be done to the head? Most of what I have read show very little gains for the money on head work. I already have a 951 suspension so I will just add koni's
Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM
RMills944
Drifting

SFR uses the Borla XR-1 muffler and I will vouch that it's an awesome muffler and leaves very little restriction! I'v pick one up and use it if I were you. Their lower end muffler uses a "bullit" muffler.

i have the XR-1 and it's amazing sounding, and looks great. The craftsmanship is top-notch! The muffler is not too loud when just cruising around town, but once you hit the throttle, or go cruise the highway at 70MPH or more, it'll sit there and roar!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Some cars get a nasty drone without a resonator about where the cat is located. I know the 928 does. Does the 944NA drone with just a test pipe and a rear muffler? If you are worried about drone a cherry bomb type muffler can be installed as a test pipe to catch the reflections off the rear muffler and eliminate the drone. Point the internal louvers at the back to catch the reverse exhaust pulses.

-Joel.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
944JM
Instructor

I went through the exact same test Jfrahm is talking about. We installed a 'cherry bomb' muffler in place of the cat. The sound is great! I have a Flowmaster 50 series in the rear. Without the cherry bomb it is tinny and loud. The resonator is a good idea. however the cherry bomd should only be considered as a test. They do not hold up at all. Maybe a month or two of daily driving. I found a good used stainless Borla and mounted it in place of the cherry bomb and haven't had any other problems. Sound is great, a deep, lower than 4cyl. sound and still retains a free flow. The drone only gets noticable under low rpm heavy load conditions. Under highway speeds and normal road conditions there is no problem. To most, it also looks like a cat.

Quick Reply: 944 exhaust ??s