Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ebay gem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw in some of that Quaker State higher mileage engine oil and give er'
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

That's one of the 6 pearl white ones, right? We saw one chopped last year.

Was the fire caught in time to make the repair not that bad?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a crap shoot with engine fire damage as to how much stuff you will have to replace. If the engine is intact (more often than not), the rest can be repaired for less effort and time than a clutch job. If you wanna do it on the cheap, it is just a matter of finding someone with a parts car and getting a package deal for all the crap that you need to replace.

If I wanted a special/rare 951, I'd check the authenticity of that one and go for it! What matters still is if the body is straight, etc. That car looks to have a good amount of sun fading. In the end, if you want a nice car and you start with a project like that, whether you paid $2500 or $3500 isn't going to matter all that much. What will always remain, however, after all the money is spent, is that it may be one of the eight pearl white cars, or one of the XXXX guards red cars.

I wanted a Lotus Esprit for most of my life, and in 1999 I finally bought one. I had always dreamed of one that was white with a tan leather interior. My search came down to a white/tan car and a red/black vynil car. The red/black car was the better deal - it was cosmetically fresher, was roadworthy, and had a lot of new parts and upgrades, vs. the white car being an older, untouched original with few new parts on the car but a lot in bags, and a big question mark as to whether it would make the trip home. I went with the red car, under the maxim of "buy the best condition one you can afford". Six years and several thousand dollars later, I have a red Esprit when what I wanted more was a white one. At this point, the price or work difference between the cars is not as important as it was when I was buying. And I still have a red esprit, and it will always be red, and all the money in the world won't make it an originally white car.

In short, if that car's being pearl white is special to you, then that purchase was worth every penny. If you are just looking for a 951 to beat around in, how good or bad of a deal that car is must be determined by a close inspection of the condition of the rest of the car.

Finally . . .

Some people on here are aware that I bought Pete's (our moderator) former 85.5. This car is well-known among SW Ohio folks and 944Fest attendees as a very nice, clean, well-cared-for example. It also happens to have had an engine fire in the past, prior to Pete's ownership! Most who have seen the car would be very surprised to know this.

Best regards,

Tony K.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just go look at it and when someone's not looking, steal the VIN tag and option code sticker. Then go get another good 951 painted pearl white. Bam. Done.

For educational purposes only.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arent some of you the same folks that were telling the guy with the Al Holbert car (or what was left of it) that he should be able to get in the mid teens at least for it?

An engine fire car with crappy paint (as this ebay ad) is worth no more than 1500 dollars as a car. In parts, there is probably about double that there, depending on what burned.

Quick Reply: Another ebay gem