Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: power steering rack rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:06 PM
MTM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help: power steering rack rebuild

I was following the tutorial on Rennbay for replacing all the seals in the power steering rack, when I ran into trouble on the very last step. It says there are 2 plastic rings and one wiper seal inside the rack housing. I was supposed to remove one ring somehow, then press / tap out the other one and the seal. But I couldn't see any way to remove either of the plastic rings aside from just pressing it out along with everything else. Here's what came out of the rack housing:

Apparently it used to have a lip on the top edge (which is now torn off, and the lip is still inside the rack housing). Has anyone ever actually removed that top plastic piece without damaging it? I'm guessing it's not such a critical piece, since it's on the outside of the wiper seal. It's probably just there to pickup any oil that got past the seal. So what should I do now? Just put it back together as it is? Could I just leave it out completely?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to grab it from the nearest side with a pair of needle nose. It had to deform quite a bit while taking it out, but it did not damage it.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:35 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto here on the needlenose, both times I had to take mine apart (put one of the seals in backwards)
Ended up twisting and pulling, but no damage, other than a little like yours shows.

Travis has new pieces I believe, give him a call and ask. He called me back on a Sunday afternoon after I left him a message. GREAT customer service.

Quick Reply: Help: power steering rack rebuild