Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumbling/hesitation and pinging...can't figure it out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 01:37 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumbling/hesitation and pinging...can't figure it out!

Okay...I'm starting to lose patience here!

Let's see. The car was pinging when I bought it. I've done a few things since I got it, and the problem remains. It also stumbles/hesitates, and feels like it's "choking". The power comes and goes thorughout the RPM range, and very rarely does it seem to make full power.

Here's what I've done: fuel system pressure flush, fuel filter, injectors cleaned/balanced, DME temp sender replaced, TPS replaced, plugs/cap/rotor are all good.

Does anyone have ideas? Does this sound like an AFM going AWOL? I started to test it but I think there's something wrong with my multimeter (or something wrong with me not knowing how to use it properly), and my reults were inconclusive. Maybe my coil?

I know N/A's aren't THIS slow!!!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:58 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Pinging is from running lean or too far advanced timing. As most can't muck with the timing you are running lean. AFS, engine and air temp sensors, fuel pruessure/flow.

Could also be a serious vacuum leak in the intake after the AFS. I had one of the intake runners come a bit loose on mine and it pinged a bit.

The 83
Old 04-24-2005, 03:07 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Are you running premium gas?
Double or triple check all the vaccum lines. Look at the ones under the intake manifold.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:45 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Looks like it's probably a post-AFM vac leak then...at least that's my guess. The idle has also been high, so that seems to make sense.

I'll find some time this weel to get in there and replace the vac lines and perhaps double check the intake mani gasket.

Thanks for the ideas! Are those vac lines/connectors readily available at Autozone or what not?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want some of the purosil stuff, lemmee know. I think I've got enough sitting around in my garage doing nothing right now - you can have it if you want. I can also check the existing lines and devices with a hand vacc. pump if you want.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:46 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Jeff,

Yeah, perhaps...I'd like to do it Mon or Tues afternoon though. I may try to do it right after I get home from work. I'm not the most patient person on the planet, and this is further compounded by the fact it's been driving me nuts for weeks already!

If Autozone has the vac lines I need, I should be OK to just tear it apart right when I get home. Not sure what to do about the intake mani gasket though!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear ya'. If it's really buggin' you, by all means give me a call. It wouldn't take more than about 20 minutes to redo all the vacc. lines, especially on an n/a car. Or I can just give you the stuff and let you be on your way. The intake gaskets can certainly start leaking over time, but there's really no way to check without yanking the intake manifold off - not that it's that hard. I think a new gasket set is about $15 or so - if nothing else it's good preventative maintenance. . .
Old 04-25-2005, 01:15 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Give me a chance to clean up some of the gunk that's collected under there. I wish I knew what sizes the vac lines were so I could buy them ahead of time...any ideas or vac line threads with that info that you know of?

Also, if you know a place that has a steam cleaner, let me know! My engine bay needs a cleaning bad!

Quick Reply: Stumbling/hesitation and pinging...can't figure it out!