Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning/coloring sunroof seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005 | 11:43 AM
Stuttgart 944
Racer

Default Cleaning/coloring sunroof seal

I buffed my car yesterday with cutting cream and then waxed it because I had a bit of overspray on it. The car came out beautiful. Looks like glass. My problem is that the seal that goes around the sunroof to keep the water out is white with wax residue. (along with a lot of other black rubber peices around the car) Can I clean that off with some detergent or such?? I have black coloring that I used to make the rubber on the side mirrors black and I was wondering if I could use that. As for the other rubber peices, should I use something to clean them or just color them? Thanks for any help!

Alex
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:09 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I don’t remember who told me about this but here goes. I would recommend for the rubber parts Mr Clean Magic Eraser. But only use it for non-painted rubber part. It will scratch anything else. It is sold in a pack of 2 in the grocery store. They look like pieces of white foam rubber and they disintegrate as you use them. I cut them up into smaller pieces. I don’t know if they would work for the sunroof seal, that part is more of a fabric like material over a solid plastic wire like thing. I know because mine is coming apart at the back drivers side corner.

BE CAREFULL THEY WILL SCRATCH YOUR PAINT.
Old 04-18-2005 | 02:04 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

I just went through this last weekend. My seal was all full of wax from the PO. I removed the seal from the roof and soaked it in the tub full of hot water. Then I took a brush to it and removed the wax. Some of the "fuzz" came off too, but at least it's not icky white anymore.

Quick Reply: Cleaning/coloring sunroof seal