Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83' 944 maiden voyage, also in need of a few misc. parts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:17 AM
spedracer18
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83' 944 maiden voyage, also in need of a few misc. parts...

just got my 83' on her feet and out for a spin...its not in the best condition but what do you expect for $1025. You guys may have seen it on ebay back in nov. from columbus, ohio. It turned out very well, good running engine and solid auto tranny. The interior is shot but i need a project. I am happy to have saved her from the scalpel as im sure she would have been a parts car.

Here are some pics, sorry i couldnt attach them, i took them a slightly larger image size than i should have:

pic 1-being washed

pic 2-eng compartment before TR cam and push button ignition

pic 3-eng compartment again

And here is my non-running 85' manual:

pic 1-black in need of hood shocks...

pic 2-in the fog at night, with PO's decals...personally i like the modesty without the decals

pic 3-left front wheel, is that a big red or just painted red?

pic 4-still foggy and taped from the PO's horrible attempt at a paint job

thanks for taking a look at my 944's. please let me know your suggestions. Also i am looking for the following miscellaneous parts:

black window switches
glove box crest
decent dash pad for earlies
used scroth harness
decent black leather shift boot
stock shift ****
cap for master cylinder reservoir
cap for windshield fluid reservoir
decent cond. rotor(the one that goes inside the disb. cap not on the wheel)
lock cylinders with keys for doors
power bleeder

i will eventually get around to looking on ebay for this stuff but i figured id try here first since i like doing business with fellow listers. Due to school, distance, and condition of 944 i wont be able to make it to hershey for the swap meet

Also if there are any other 924/944/951/968 owners in the area that would like to get together to wrench etc. let me know, it seems as though those ohioans have all the fun
Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

James,

It's nice to see that I am not alone in my effort to save them from the knife. I am having a lot of fun with my '83 as well. The lock tumblers are a Porsche/VW/Audi part and you should be able to get a cheap set at a lock shop. If not I am sure that a Rennlister will come to the rescue. If you are looking for a way to get a key made pull the passenger side handle and there is a key code there. Any lock shop can make one from that.

More details on the '83! What options? I see you have that gasket delete under the badge option what was that, I think it might be 905, or was it PO's Its hard to read on mine. Are you one of those manual steering racks that they talk about? It looks like you are missing the res. I can see the bolt holes in pic 3 for the coil but it looks like in pic 2 your coil could be mounted on the strut tower. Newer water pump and guide. Belts look good.

Looks like you also need an air box and belt covers Fuel rail cover missing, O2 sensor looks like it was by-passed. In engine pic 2 it looks like the distrib cap is half off.

I don't mean to come off as I am bagging on ya. I have been going through the same things. DAMN, at least you have a decent paint job

Michael
Old 04-18-2005, 04:14 AM
spedracer18
Racer

nope, perfectly fine, i need all the comments i can get

sorry i cant get the options right now, but they are located in the hatch somewheres right?

definitely got the manual steering, dont know yet if thats a plus (less weight) or a minus

as for belt covers i have 1 set too many, just forgot to put them on today. the K&N is bad i know, but i didnt know when i put it on how bad it really is. the stock airbox was just compltely missing so i bought this as an alternative. ill eventually go back to stock though.

funny you say it is a newer water pump. I actually bought a new one, and new belts for this car and havent put them on yet (I just bought a tool set from bruce and it arrived friday). I wasnt sure how to tell the age of the pump/belts and i know they are notorious, but perhaps ill hold off a few before changing over to the new stuff. you think?

the disb. cap is 1/2 off in pic 2-was going to pull the rotor for the 85' to see if it would turn over, but decided not to. very observant michael.

as for the fuel rail cover/o2 bypass what do i do? I guess i buy a cover if someones got one. but what about the o2 bypass? i am unfamiliar with this territory...

as for the gasket delete didnt even know i had it. perhaps option or PPO since the PO was on lazy **** when it came to this car.

Thanks, the paint job is bad in some spots but good in most. The PO let the car sit under a tree and some birds relieved themselves on it. It was so acidic that it ate right through the clear coat and right through the paint. I think ill wait on a paint job though since they are quite expensive and do not offer any better performance or handling.

I am forever grateful for the help i recieve here. definately the best 17.95 i hav ever spent. Thanks for your comments michael!

also here is a pic of the 85' engine compartment

and another

EDIT: what do you mean about the coil? the ignition coil? mount on the cam tower?! please enlighten me
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the carpet early dash pads in black for cheap if you are interested. PM me for details.......
Old 04-18-2005, 09:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelathome
Are you one of those manual steering racks that they talk about? It looks like you are missing the res.

Michael
Most of the MY 1983 cars had the mount for the reservoir even though they had manual steering. Interestingly enough, some of the Turbo Cup cars (that had manual steering as well) have the reservoir mount, some do not. I have given thought to removing my mount, but it would leave holes from drilling out the tackwelds. I may do that though when it is time to repaint.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:44 AM
patrick-87-944
Racer

Welcome
I am parting a '83 944 and have some of the stuff you are looking for:
cap for master cylinder reservoir
cap for windshield fluid reservoir
You should make sure they do not have any cracks in reservoirs
Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
spedracer18
Racer

i am more interested in a vinyl/leather dash pad, carpet just isn't my thing.

Patrick, that is great. PM me with pricing. My reservoirs are leak-free, but the coolant overflow is quite yellowed. I may buy a new one in the distant future to make thr-e compartment prettier.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default push button ignition

see subject....more details and pictures please
Old 04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Fuel rail cover is only there for esthetics. When your injector wires were new and plyable they would have run under the cover for a cleaner look. Gasket under the badge looks to be missing. It's a $2 part at most just to help with rattles. O2 connector wire seems to be cut and plugged in without the cable/wire cap. Just looks like it has been fiddled with.

Your water pump is likely a newer style IIRC with the metal belt guard up near the pump. Make sure that you have bought the right one. I haven't done that yet but I am sure that it will happen at some point in the future. Granite 944 has a good write-up and pic of the different styles with a pic if I can find it I'll edit this post.

As to holding off on belts? Well, yours do look OK from the pic but you would be the better judge since you can see the whole thing and not just snapshots. If you have all the parts and some help I'd make the change and start counting the milage to re-tension. My .02

Once again, good luck!!

Michael
Old 04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
spedracer18
Racer

yeah the push-button iginition was just for fun. My friend helped me wire it in. I believe it jump starts the starter by splicing into the starter and connecting to the positive terminal of the battery. The key must be in the on position for the button to work correctly. I like it that way since it a little less easy to steal. Otherwise the button turns the engine, but the engine does not fire. ill get some pics tonight after school.

as for the water pump i just bought a reman off ebay back in feb. i am not sure but it looks almost identical to the one currently on my car right now. now that i have bruce's engine tool set, i plan on doing the belts soon. Its cheap insurance, if you know what i mean...

i plan on getting a new hood badge as summer begins, meaning a new gasket as well. has anyone seen a titanium crest on a silver/seal grey car? im not sure if that'll be too much silver or not.

what did you mean about the coil before michael? i still am not quite sure what you are talking about...where should it be?

does anyone have a pic of the fuel rail cover on an early, i may have to get one if it looks decent...
Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
spedracer18
Racer

also looking for used hatch struts in working condition...they seem quite expensive new...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 AM
spedracer18
Racer

well after about a week i finally got some pictures of the push button ignition:

here is the button itself
here it is spliced into the starter
here it is attached to positive battery terminal

also here are some pics of my ratty interior :

from drivers side
from pass. side
close up of center console

and more of the engine compartment:

eng. comp. 1
eng. comp. 2
water pump

clear coat peeling 1
clear coat peeling 2

I plan on going more modern with the interior since it would cost an arm and a leg to return it to stock. Ill keep some before pictures for the entusiasts that flame me latter. here are the plans:

corbeaus or recaros (adj. back)
momo auto shift ****
carbon fiber dash
diamond plate flooring
white face gauges
gauge lighting update
"monster" sound system
back seat delete to make way for fiberglassed subs
street legal harnesses
a-pillar VDO white-face gauges
relocation of the push-button (this is a must...)

for all you parts sellers out there, if you have anything that i would need from looking at the pics (either in bad cond. or missing), pm me with pricing. I am more than happy to patronize rennlisters instead of ebay sellers.

here is an updated list of parts i need:

black window switches (3)
glove box crest
decent dash pad for earlies
decent black leather shift boot
stock shift ****
decent cond. rotor(the one that goes inside the disb. cap not on the wheel)
lock cylinders with keys for doors
power bleeder
968 M030 sways
fuel rail cover
6-blade rad. fans

thanks all
Old 04-26-2005, 02:56 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

James,

Well, I had thought that I had seen them all. I was wrong.. LOL. Your's isn't that much better than mine, just kidding. Looks like you only had a few issues with your paint VS. the ENTIRE car peeling like it had been hanging out in Sandy Eggo a bit to long w/out a good layer of bullfrog on

Keep the faith! You have found a good site with LOTS of very knowledgable members. When ya see a thread for parts post fast cause some go quick.

Once again, good luck!!

Michael
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on saving a 1983 944.

Only 5,506 of these cars were sold in the U.S. and Canada. OTOH, the 1984 model year was much more abundant: 16,618 U.S. & Canada spec cars.*

They're more rare than most people realize.

*924/944/968 FAQ by Kevin G.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
spedracer18
Racer

5,506 isnt even counting the countless that have been parted/totalled

Quick Reply: 83' 944 maiden voyage, also in need of a few misc. parts...