Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car running hotter since coolant change

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:11 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car running hotter since coolant change

Hi
Just did tires, air filter, oil and filter, plugs, wires. rotor, cap, brake fluid and coolant on Saturday on my 2 wk. old 89, 951 ( fuel and brake lines are currently very corroded and seised up) Since then my coolant temp has bounced from middle to 3/4 mark and the previous 2 weeks it never even got to the middle line. After looking at previous threads, do you think there is air in the system? My mechanic/friend dumped it the way he does my daily drivers(drain, plug and fill) I don't have a Haynes manual yet and not sure where the bleeder valve is and how to properly do this. The coolant is filled to the low middle point of the resevoir and I took off the cap and let the car run with the heater on for 10 minutes hoping it would push the air out. This seemed to help some what.
thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 10:15 PM
nathan944
Instructor

You have to bleed at the highest point of the system. There is a bleeder screw where the top rad hose goes into the head. The way I do it is take that out and fill until it come out, then run the car with the heat on untill all the bubbles are out. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

I just replaced the coolant, are you saying I have to dump it and refill in the manner you mentioned? Also is this water wetter any good? Project 951 in European car stated it drastically reduced engine operating temp.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 11:12 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

You don’t have to remove the coolant to bleed it. But you will need to add more using most methods of bleeding it. It definitely sounds like you still have air in there. It can take a couple of times (of bleeding it) to get all of the air out.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Fastest way to bleed is to do mouth to mouth on the expansion tank. Although, bear in mind that antifreeze is a toxin. (Don't swallow )
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

in this photo the bleed valve is located immediately under the fuel rail cover where the red arrow is pointing. you have to open this valve to bleed the air out of the coolant system. it takes some time, the car will probably overheat while you're bleeding until you get enough coolant to make the fans come on and the thermostat open

Old 04-18-2005, 01:02 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 8V cars always take just at 2 gallons total to fill them. I use that as rule of thumb. I let the system buld a little pressure and open the bleeder, watch out for hot coolant and steam. When you get a constant flow of coolant and no air, you are good. Also, don't forget to turn the heater on to circulate the heater core as well. I've had some nasty air pockets hold up in there too. Good luck
Old 04-18-2005, 01:28 AM
RMills944
Drifting

^^
like Andy said - warm up the engine so the fluid is flowing, then slowly crack the screw till it starts leaking a little. Let it go till it starts leaking a solid stream of fluid with no air bubbles. It's easy to do and just make sure not to let the resovoir empty out on you.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, here's the procedure:

NOTE: This is performed with a COLD engine!

1. Get the car in a "nose high" attitude by either jacking up the front, or parking on an inclined driveway.
2. Set the heater controls to full hot.
3. Start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds or so to circulate coolant through the heater core.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Find the coolant over flow hose. If necessary, loosen the expansion tank mounting bolts (had to do this with my 951) and pull the hose from behind the expansion tank.
6. Remove the expansion tank cap.
7. Use a 12mm wrench to open the coolant bleeder bolt.
8. Put one hand over the expansion tank neck and gently blow into the coolant over flow hose. When you see a solid stream of coolant at the bleeder, close the bleeder.
9. Add enough water to the expansion tank to restore the previous coolant level.
10. Install the expansion tank cap, start the engine, let it run for 30 seconds, shut down, bleed, top-off. Repeat as necessary.
11. Find another mechanic.

The bleeder bolt is located in the coolant fitting (gooseneck) at the front of the engine.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I want to confirm your instructions. Once I complete the process once, do I repeat the process the same way...run for 30 sec c/ heat on, turn off, blow in overflow hose, bleed ect. Or can I just follow your step 10.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charlotte944
OK, here's the procedure:

NOTE: This is performed with a COLD engine!

1. Get the car in a "nose high" attitude by either jacking up the front, or parking on an inclined driveway.
2. Set the heater controls to full hot.
3. Start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds or so to circulate coolant through the heater core.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Find the coolant over flow hose. If necessary, loosen the expansion tank mounting bolts (had to do this with my 951) and pull the hose from behind the expansion tank.
6. Remove the expansion tank cap.
7. Use a 12mm wrench to open the coolant bleeder bolt.
8. Put one hand over the expansion tank neck and gently blow into the coolant over flow hose. When you see a solid stream of coolant at the bleeder, close the bleeder.
9. Add enough water to the expansion tank to restore the previous coolant level.
10. Install the expansion tank cap, start the engine, let it run for 30 seconds, shut down, bleed, top-off. Repeat as necessary.
11. Find another mechanic.

The bleeder bolt is located in the coolant fitting (gooseneck) at the front of the engine.
what cliff said, and I found it helps to fill the block from the head spout ( it will take a gallon) and fill the radiator from the expansion tank with another gallon.
running the car on an incline, nose up, will send any air bubbles up and out.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
RMills944
Drifting

My way's simpler :-p lol

Quick Reply: car running hotter since coolant change