Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4000th post... Giving something back, Who needs a membership!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far the nominees are,

Zero10
StupED05
Pcarfan944

So theres only 3 people on rennlist who need a membership? Speakup!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

a bump, probably deciding tonight.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I just found out I have a BHG Maybe I could use the membership to save money on parts and repairs
Old 04-19-2005, 02:58 PM
CO944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nominate zero10
I need a membership but I can actually afford it and plan on getting one this week.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:54 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well obviously I don't need a membership, but i'll back Devon's membership with one as well. Pick 2bud, the 2nd one is on me. (i'll have 2000posts by the time its all said 'n done)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

sweet, that makes things easier wes! Rennlist is great.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
I just found out I have a BHG Maybe I could use the membership to save money on parts and repairs
BHG = blown headgasket?

- edit - so do i, noones giving me a membership! lol jk.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Bear with me on this. I think there are a LOT of people deserving of some recognition on here for their efforts. Im a big believer in generosity, Im just not sure I like the idea of offering a Rennlist membership.

I dont know, that just kinds of rubs me the wrong way. Its not the giving part of it. I cant fault that at all. I guess I just come from the old school that if you can afford to drive a Porsche you can afford $17 for a membership. And if you cant afford $17 for a membership, you need to sell your Porsche and drive a Corolla. Reminds me of the person driving a $50,000 Hummer and complaining every day that the gas prices are killing him. You can afford to spend $2750 for a fixer-upper 944, but $2767 dollars would have been "too much" had the seller required you to buy a Rennlist membership, forcing you to walk away? Doubtful.

Im not making an indictment on anyone, just a general opinion on the matter at hand.

There is just absolutely no excuse as to why one cannot afford the $17 in my opinion. I dont care if you are destitute and standing in line for your food stamps. Dont eat for two days. There are ways to find the money. Dig through the couch cushions. Sell a few CDs at the Second Time Around store. Mow the neighbors yard. Carpool for one week. There comes a point in time where it really comes down to one salient question: can you afford NOT to join Rennlist? At every turn there is a choice. The choice to sacrifice and get it done, or the choice to not sacrifice and choose something else.

Zero10 is still my bro. And everyone else who isnt a member yet. Im just speaking from my conscience. I kind of had an epiphany a couple weeks ago when the Rennlist Group Diet started. Its made me look at things in a new direction. Kind of changed my life. And anybody who knows me knows any change would be an improvement.

Rennlist may be a luxury to belong to, but so is driving a Porsche, eating at McDonalds, and having a pack of gum in your pocket. Eat PB&J for a week. Drink water for a month. Put unleaded in your premium gas tank. Take quicker showers. Crazy? No. We all make choices. Granted, some people on here pay $17 and contribute nothing (me) while others with vast amounts of knowledge contribute a lot and arent members. So I can see some intellectual equity as part of this philosophical debate that does make it harder for me. I want to be like Ghandi though and start doing the right thing and standing up for myself, even if people dont like me for it.

Either way though, I will be happy for the person who gets the membership and Yieldsign for the thoughtfulness.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

UD, I understand completely.. I spent all of my bank account plus 700 of my dads money for my 944, but I still bought a membership a week or two after I found this place. I do find it hard to believe that someone CANT afford it, but that's not my reason for giving one. There ARE times where that 17 dollars that somoen has needs or should be put to something else in their lives, and not a rennlist membership. Last spring, I had 40 dollars in my bank and driving a range rover back and forth to highschool each day, going through 30 dollars of gas per week. I spent the last few years working on that rover (wich is now resting in pieces...) and selling it would only have gotten me maybe a grand or so.. Was it worth selling, that or my 944 that I had bought in november to have some spending money? I don't think so. If you have some self motivation, money will come, you just gotta hunker down and get it.. it may mean putting off things for a bit, such as rennlist memberships.

I know this car has the name porsche on it, but its a 3000 dollar car now, not an "expensive porsche". And I know some of you guys out therre want only older people with money to put the right parts it needs in it correctly and that will respect the car more to own them, but frankly, it's a 3000 dollar car now, meaning lowly high schoolers and freshman in college like me are going to own them. I could get a civic in good shape for the same amount, and parts would break on that too.. and whether it is a 100 dollar part or a 1000 dollar part, when you have 50 bucks to your name its still not enough. I understand your point, but try to understand mine.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
UD, I understand completely.. I spent all of my bank account plus 700 of my dads money for my 944, but I still bought a membership a week or two after I found this place. I do find it hard to believe that someone CANT afford it..............(SNIP)
Oh boy, I hope this doesn't break out into the member vs non-member discourse of last week. I agree with UD, I don't really care if someone is a member or not, but they just need to follow the rules when it comes to posting for sale ads, etc.

Honestly, if you look at that last thread on this subject, you will find that the loudest screamers about non-membership said that they can afford it but choose not to purchase one. I think most of the time it is not a "can't afford it" thing, it's a "I don't have to pay for it so I don't want to" thing. Which is cool by me. There was a year that I didn't contribute to my local NPR station, but then finally did because I realized I listen to it almost everyday and couldn't live without it. Now I contribute every year, even though I don't "have to". I want to.

It's all good, keep up the good work Devon.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Yeah jeremy, to me its more giving to John D., in the form of giving someone a membership, rather then giving a membership to someone who cant afford it. But obviously it would make the most sense to give that membership to someone who has teh least ability to pay for one.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Yeah jeremy, to me its more giving to John D.
I can definitely live with that reasoning.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM
MoonBoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with UDPride, especially with people who have over 1K posts, it should be viewed as supporting a resource that gives a lot back to the individual. This is not a Member vs. Non argument, this is simply a matter of supporting a valuable resource that people spend lots and lots of time. Example: 1000 posts, say each post takes 30 seconds to craft, that's 8 hours of just posting time you spent on Rennlist, which was free to you. $17 doesn't seem like a lot when you consider people pay $20 for DVDs that play for 1 maybe 2 hours. $17 could also pay for a whopping 20 minutes of shop time on your Porsche Really, it's within Rennlists best interests to encourage the members who post more than 1K to become members.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UD, Tifo, Moon, I completly agree with you guys. Hell my car was in peices last year when I bought my membership. I bought the membership after I got great deals on parts from Rennlist members.

John D has a great thing here and don't always get recognized enough. With all the help i've gotten and all the help i've given, this is the least I can do. That and i'm just in a good mood (Boost will do that too you )
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Alrihgt, back to giving away a membership.. i dont want this thread to turn into the last membership worth thread...

Wes, what do you think, pcarfan and zero? They sound the most needy maybe? What do you think, you are part of this now lol

Quick Reply: 4000th post... Giving something back, Who needs a membership!?