Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong smell of gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:35 PM
mbonner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong smell of gasoline

I gassed up today at a gasbar (Co-op) and every time I opened the driver's window a strong smell of gasoline came in until I had driven about 60 miles. Now I have noticed this before a couple of times at these particular gas stations, seems they tell the kids on the pumps to get every last drop of gas into that tank, so the tank is filled up to the eyeballs.
I got home and lifted the carpet and the sticky pad over the fuel sender and it was dry with no gas smell. I unscrewed the gas cap and there was a "whoosh" air going in or out?
Is there a vent in the gas cap? Should I get a new one?
What do you guys think? Overfilling?
Mike
Old 04-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this "fuel smell" problem after filling up too. Turned out to be that little rubber grommet (drain) that you see when you open the fuel door and look below the filler neck opening. It's there to drain away puddles of water or spilled fuel. There is supposed to be a drain tube hooked up to it, which IIRC, T's into the sunroof drain tube in the right rear fender well. If that drain tube comes loose, then you pump alot of fuel fumes into the cars interior when you gas up. To gain access, you have to unclip the carpeting covering the right rear fender well, and reach up towards the gas filler neck. I pulled the grommet out, (looks like a small funnel with a right-angle metal tube extending out of it ) , cleaned out the metal tube, and "zip-tied" it back onto the plastic drain tube so it wouldn't come off again. Then just push it back into place and test it by pouring some water down the drain and watch for any leaks in the fender well.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

Another couple of problems that cause this:
1. the bellows connecting the bottom of the fuel filler neck to the tank can deteriorate and crack like all the other rubber, and then fuel leaks. Take apart the covering over it inside the car and see. fuel evaporates rapidly, so you probably wont see so much as smell something. Replacement is about $75 from the dealer. Got one today.
2. there is an evaporation chamber that can also deteriorate and leak fumes back there as well. i've found these at automobile atlanta for $25 a few years ago. Don't know where or how much now.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:00 AM
mbonner
Racer

Thanks a bunch, fellas, I'll check these out. I really think I get good value here for my membership bucks, but I still cant get into the classifieds.
Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Flight_951
Pro

Originally Posted by mbonner
...but I still cant get into the classifieds.
I can't either...
Old 04-16-2005, 10:06 AM
mbonner
Racer

Gas smell,well rubber grommet was gone, just metal pipe there, excess gas was running into RH cubby. Also hose from filler was in the car, not sticking out through the hole, dumping gas right into the cubby.. I pushed the gas overflow hose out the hole provided and ran sealant around the metal pipe. On this car there are 2 hoses, one for the sunroof drain, the other for gas overflow and a hole for each to the underside of the car. Thanks for the tip, Lizard 944, right on the button.
Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 03:05 PM
unsigned
Racer

I'm having the same issue. All rubber is intact, the line drains like it should. I pulled up the rear carpet and the fire resistant patch over the feul pump and was able to smell gas there. I'm just sorta of suprised that it comes through the plastic cap, then the fire patch, the mat and then the carpet.

I'm not really sure where to go next.

Quick Reply: Strong smell of gasoline