Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005 | 08:42 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

2 Things:

1. I hope this isn't some sort of late April Fools thing.
2. Honestly, I think the Cayenne is cool, and when my Pathfinder expires, I will replace it with a used Cayenne.
Old 04-15-2005 | 08:46 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I think this is awesome!! I've been waiting for this day to come since Porsche left Le Mans racing. This will be awesome for Porsche enthusiasts. Now all I want to see is the CGT running against the vettes and the S7s. To really prove which is a better car.
Old 04-15-2005 | 11:06 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mat H,

Why so negative?

Porsche's image is based on its durability, technology and winning ways in motorsports. Aside from the Cayanne, Porsche is after all a "sports car" manufacturer.

Porsche will continue to sell the Cayanne. I said good riddance to the development only because it took all of Porsche's engineering resources to develope the new product line. Now that it is on the market, Porsche motorsport engineers can spend some time on reviving the excitement that was the glory days on the track.

"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" is a proven moniker. Ask NASCAR.

Even the casual Porsche Cayanne owner will feel a sence of ownership pride, when Porsche kicks all other manufactures butt's (ferrari, audi, chevrolet, bugatti, jaguar, ect.) at LeMans. Not to mention, the performance and durability advancements that come from the test bed that is high end racing competition. We are not Yugo owners.

The history-making unveiling of the new prototype sports car racing program intended for customer race teams
And for your financial concerns....as stated in the article, it appears that Porsche intends to sell the new racer for profit. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Heck, I am so excited I might have to go out and buy that new 996 TT I have been looking at. Park it right up front trackside.
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:12 AM
Matt H
Race Director

But IS the Cayenne any good or is it, for the most part, a typical SUV with some good power thats somewhat overpriced because of the crest on the front hood?
Yes, it is a very good SUV, see if you can get to the Cayenne driving experience.

Why so negative?
Not negative, just like to discuss before becoming a lemming.

Porsche's image is based on its durability, technology and winning ways in motorsports. Aside from the Cayanne, Porsche is after all a "sports car" manufacturer.
I agree and as such, it has nothing to gain from going back to ALMS

Porsche motorsport engineers can spend some time on reviving the excitement that was the glory days on the track.
Porsche Motorsport was not losing development time to Cayenne.

"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" is a proven moniker. Ask NASCAR.
No it isnt and I dont have to ask NASCAR, I am in the industry that started the term (and it wasnt the auto industry). BTW, GM is up to having almost 6 months of supply, Ford is at 4 month, winning on Sunday is NOT selling cars for the domestic manufacturers. Toyota, the largest mover in the last few years has no NASCAR, they arent winning in Motorsports they are in, except IRL and no one cares about IRL.

And for your financial concerns....as stated in the article, it appears that Porsche intends to sell the new racer for profit. Sounds like a win/win to me.
A manufacturer NEVER recovers the profits spent in the racing divisions. Selling a car or two or ten does not justify the budget of a race team.

Like I said, I am not against it, I just want to discuss the merit of it.
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:26 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt H
Toyota, the largest mover in the last few years has no NASCAR,...
Wait just a minute...
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:38 AM
Matt H
Race Director

That would be NASTRUCK not NASCAR and as soon as they get the rules changed they will have a NASCAR, it is part of their global strategy.
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:49 AM
RuFF_Fanatic
Instructor

GO PORSCHE!
Old 04-16-2005 | 07:20 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Wait though, this isnt Porsche racing a factory team and sinking funds left and right. Its Porsche developing a car to SELL to private teams. Why would Porsche lose money? They don't support the team, they provide the goods. This announcement also seems to coincide with the new Asian Carrera cup and 997 racer they are offering to private teams.

Quick Reply: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!