Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded my car today

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I dont disagree with you in principle you are dead wrong. There were only 16K 944s TOTAL sold in the US in 1984. In 1998 alone GM made 31K C-5 Corvettes. That 31K does include Exports (though I cannot find how many were exports lets suffice to say it wasnt 50%).
Old 04-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Matt H
Race Director

And for the record the VAST majority (about 1/3) were Red with Black interior. Seems that Vette owners and 944s owners arent that different
Old 04-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Total production of the vette exceeds the 944 line up by only about 35k cars. That's not a huge difference. My statements should hold true if you look at Corvette Coupes.

But even if not, I don't think anybody driving a red Corvette thinks they have a rare car...
Ahmet
Old 04-16-2005, 02:57 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECUdooberhead
oh right, since the vette has a plasticky interior
think fiberglass Congrats. very nice cars and maybe the BEST performance/money deal on the market right now. I've never owned an American car, YET, but I do think that a Corvette, Camaro, or GM truck/blazer (practicality, I'll most likely still own my Pcar and need something more "useful") will be the first choices. I like the color and LOVE that you held off for a manual car. Dad wants a 'Vette or 911 some time in the next ~5 years, so we look at the 'Vettes in the showroom often...trouble is they're nearly all automatic convertibles.

now for the rest of you: EDIT: I'm not taking sides just trying to end POINTLESS bickering on the 'List

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
I think its a cool car, but every other car I see on the road around here is a vette. If I wanted to be driving a car everyone else had, Id drive a civic. But, to each his own, congrats.
I agree this is stated slightly rudely. But, all he's saying is that he SEES more Corvettes on the road around "HERE" (where HE lives)

Originally Posted by NZ951
You're right, he should get a guards red 944 NA, they're the ****.
IMMEDIATE BASHING

Originally Posted by Ahmet
You know Randy, these guys have a point. You should just say screw the vette and get a red 944 NA. Make sure you paint your cam tower, you know to set your red 944 NA apart from... the other red 944 NAs.

My grandmother was going to get a red 944 NA (she says she likes to blend in) but decided to go for a Civic instead, as they're much faster...
Ahmet
IMMEDIATELY "strength in numbers and internet means I can be mean too"

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I'm curious if you knew that Porsche made more 944 NAs in 1984 than any other year. Infact, Porsche produced more red 944 coupes in 1984 than GM has made C5s, in ANY year, in any color (I want to say that all colors combined, the C5 production for any year did not exceed the red 944 NA production in 1984). Corvettes are not as common as you seem to think. There's only been about 35k more C5s produced than 944s through out the model run.
Ahmet
arguing AFTER he's said he would leave the thread.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

cobras are cool too. i wish i knew how to add felling to type.....
Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

You know, after reading through this entire thread, I am scratching my head wondering why I just wasted the time...

ECU, you got a car that makes you happy. Good for you. If you and Ahmet want to post on a Porsche forum how much better, more reliable, more rare or whatever your vette is than a 944, you are acting like trolls and can expect to get flamed.

I haven't owned a C5 altho I have ridden in a few and I don't dislike them, but I prefer my 944's. Its my choice. I have no problems with the reliability of the 944, and I bet I have driven way more miles in 944's than you and Ahmet combined. How reliable your 944 is generally is tied to the owners ability to follow proper maintennce and having a decent wrench working on it. The newest 951 in the States is still 15 years old. Feel free to tell us how reliable your vette is when its that old, otherwise, why don't you move your complaints about the 944's to the vette board.

Regards,
Old 04-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It's suprising how sensitive rennlist has become.

I like both Corvettes (only the C5) and 944s. I have enjoyed interacting with Porsches in one shape or form since the mid 90s or so. I've been a PCA member, and I have been VOLUNTARILY helping other fellow Porsche owners for almost as long. I've worked on several dozen 944s, owned 3 of them myself. I don't think a 944 is un-reliable, however as you said the newest examples are over a decade old. That's a factor to consider for any car.

I'm not here to bash the 944. That's not what I (or we) are doing either. You guys shold be happy for Randy and not making snotty comments like "corvettes are plasticky, they suck", or "they're way too common". He is after all a fellow rennlist member, a past and most likely future Porsche owner as well.
Ahmet

PS: Scott, I have logged well over 200k on 944s. I've rebuilt several engines, swapped turbos, engines, engine management, and so on. I've raced a couple and tracked one as well. If you have more experience than me, good for you however I'm not new to these cars either...
Old 04-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I don't think anybody driving a red Corvette thinks they have a rare car...
You got that right

For the record my 951 is Alpine White, strangely one of the more rare colors.

I also have an RX7 and a Stealth as well as a BMW. I am not anti Corvette, my roomate in college had a 96LT4 and I had a 944 and a 383 Camaro at the time. We had WAY more fun with the "muscle" cars than we did with the 944.

I had a deposit down for a new Cobra but when they announced that they were going to use a solid rear axle setup, I asked for my money back. Still waiting on the dealer to let me know, since I was informed of the change on Thursday.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:23 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Ahmet, sorry, I reread my post and thought I should clarify something. I know you did a lot of work on Randys car and didn't mean to imply that your wrenching was the problem with Randy's reliability issues. I have no knowledge of your skills, and wasn't commenting on them. It was intended to be a general comment, there are a lot of so called "professional" wrenches out there that do very stupid things when it comes to 944's. I don't get paid to work on car either, by the way.

Like I said in the first line of my post, Randy got a car he likes. Yay. I am happy for Randy, but he doesn't need to start talking trash about 944's here. Thats not being "sensitive".

I am not trying to propagate a flame war here. Randy can go drive his car, we'll drive ours, and maybe we can wave at each other as we go in our separate directions.

Regards,
Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

1 less flamingo ****box around these parts...good riddance...

congrats - there arent many american cars I would drive but a Z06 is one of them. If you put half the work into the C5 as you did the 951 Im sure it will be awesome. Dont be a stranger...If you ever need to smell/look at oil leaks Im always available.

ps - damn after reading this thread should I hate my guards red porsche? hahaha
Old 04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ECUdooberhead
Probably, but not in a 944, thats for sure. My next Pcar will be nothing before a 993TT.... there are other cars out there besides Porsches, believe it or not
no way! this is a porsche board, and if you dare say any car can do something equally good or better than the 944 you will get flamed.

If I recall correctly, the 924/944 series was the most mass produced Porsche in Porsches history... until... they cayenne.

I miss the Z28, but have had no desire to drive the S2 since I got the GTO. Gobs and gobs of low end torque is very sweet. Someone drove my GTO and said it was like his 951, only with the boost on all the time.

On a peaceful note, I DE'd the S2 today and a carerra GT was at the DE. It aint no 944, but it will have to do. The sound of the motor at redline while accellerating is almost undescribeable. Awesome sums it up best.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:29 AM
ryans
Racer

When I bought this.....

I was supposed to sell my 944.

I just couldn't let her go though. My wife seems to understand.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only started talking "trash" in response to others doing the same. Also, you will notice I stated facts in my posts, and was kidding in half of them- I dont see why everyone is so offended so easily. I have owned 2 944's myself, so its obvious I love the cars... I just wont be back in one because after experiencing a 993TT, GT3, 996TT's, and other better Porsches, I know that the 951 can only go SO far in the performance world- and yes, im aware enough money can be dumped into one to make it out perform all of the above as with any car, but its still an old car with older technology. For what I want with a car, a vet made sense- I only plan to own the car for a couple years until I move back to Germany, then yes, I will own another Porsche (GT3? 993TT?), but probably not a 951- a Turbo'd 968 wouldn't be out of the question though, which was an option before I decided on a vet. And also, I miss driving my 951
-Randy
Old 04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
RMills944
Drifting

so when are the plans to repaint the Vette in FLAMINGO?!?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Originally Posted by RMills944
so when are the plans to repaint the Vette in FLAMINGO?!?
Since GM didnt make any flamingo metallic vets, I went with Pewter, since its the closest factory color. I'll repaint it Porsches LY4Z right after the supercharger and 6 pison Brembo's go in

-Randy

Quick Reply: Traded my car today