Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Told by a guy at a porsche parts shop that aftermarket motor mounts will do just fine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The aftermarket ones I installed, which failed, were also German.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to help clear up some of the confusion...
I have been told that the aftermarket ones, which are identical to the porsche ones (whoever the manufacturer may be) are bought from WorldPac. I just bought a pair from Auto Value for my 951, which were bought from WorldPac. When they come in, I'll let you guys know if they're the same (since I have OEM ones on the 951 right now), and what brand they are, and how they hold up. If they're not the same, I'll let you guys know about that as well. I don't anticipate to have any problems with these mounts.

For people like me, when I'm working on my own car, my labor is free, but the parts aren't. I'm a student, which means cash is super-tight, $120/mount difference is enough for me to drop the crossmember twice.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

We just threw a set of the Meyle motor mounts in a 944 last weekend. They are indentical to the Porsche labeled ones, and in my experience, should last just as long. I got a set from Ian about 5 years ago and they held up fine in my '84 944 over the course of about 75k miles or so since they were put in. I am replacing them now since I am doing an engine swap, but thats just because its too easy to do now.

Don't buy the asian aftermarket mounts and you should be fine, imo. YMMV.

Regards,
Old 04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the after market mounts from Zims on my son's na car and they have been great. They look identical to the oem mounts and show no signs of wear after about 3000 miles. I'd use the after market mounts from Zims again.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
Yeah, Zims and German Parts & Restoration in CA sell the Meyle mounts with the P trademark ground off. I think Paragon does, too, but I have never seen theirs in person.
Not sure I understand what that means? To answer another question, there are two mounts - OE and not-OE... original and aftermarket. Each has a different price, each is a different product. Though extensive experience, we recommend the OE part. Both can come from WorldPac and others - they are simply the importers.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

I've had non-OE fail after 2000 miles, POS!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skip
Not sure I understand what that means?
What is so confusing? If you get a mount in the Porsche box on the rubber "sidewall" there is a P inside a sort of "triangle" - it is one of Porsche's trademarks - as well as the Porsche part number, cast in the rubber in raised profile.

If you look at a motor mount that came in a Meyle box with an unbroken Meyle hologram seal it is the same motor mount except someone took a grinder or wire wheel and scraped off the raised Porsche trademark. Though I did see one mount (out of 4) that came in a Meyle box that someone in production must have forgotten to scrape off the Porsche trademark.

I'm pretty sure they are identical motor mounts that have just gone two different routes through the distribution system. One that passed through Porsche and the other through the "aftermarket".
Old 04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only non-OE ones I'd consider are the "super mounts", but those are about $500 a pop. At least they're billet with no rubber to get degraded over time by heat or oil. Stick with OE. They were designed to last quite a long time (how long did your originals last?) Compare that to some knock-off that might fail in six months. It's worth the money. Would you skimp on timing belts? Oil pan gasket? Clutch? Why - because it's a pain in the *** to replace 'em! This is the same.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:26 PM
jurg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here the OEM (Corteco, Meyle )
Aftermarket(China) cheaps, but crappy parts,
Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also installed aftermarket mounts for a lister where the bolt holes were off about 1/8th of an inch, which doesnt sound like much but is a HUGE amount on that project. For reference, I can usually do the mounts in under an hour, I worked on his for more than 3.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My mounts are 15 years old... 120,000miles and are still functioning properly. They are showing wear but I am still unsure of the path I will take when replaceing them.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
OK944
Advanced

I will probably be giving the aftermarket ones from Zims a shot next month. If I drop $100 on mounts and then have to replace them 3 months later, lesson learned and I get 3 months of smoothness. If they last 3 years, different lesson learned. I will make sure and let everyone know when I have to replace the generic ones. Hopefully you will never seem me post about it again, hehe.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
What is so confusing? If you get a mount in the Porsche box on the rubber "sidewall" there is a P inside a sort of "triangle" - it is one of Porsche's trademarks - as well as the Porsche part number, cast in the rubber in raised profile.
[...]

I'm pretty sure they are identical motor mounts that have just gone two different routes through the distribution system. One that passed through Porsche and the other through the "aftermarket".
I suspect the distinction Skip is pointing to here is that OEM is not the same as aftermarket. OEM is the same part made by the manufacturuer that supplies Porsche - Meyle, in this case, apparently - but not sold with the Porsche badging, but rather their own. Hence "original equipment manufacturer".

OTOH, Iceshark Enterprises, or anybody else for that matter, could maufacture knock-offs that were never supplied to Porsche as original equipment -- aftermarket, but definitely not OEM. (Of course, the Iceshark Enterprises units would be of very high quality... )

-Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 PM
dan_c
Advanced

slightly off topic....when Ihad my 944S mounts replaced, I went with the 951 mounts..as the OEM had a design fault....vibrations are totally different...

does anyone know if there was a recall for 944S motor mounts...?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Just to add to the confusion, I've had a set of OE mounts, bought from the dealer for top $ (when I didn't know better), go bad within the three years I've owned my car. Well, one went bad, and the other was replaced too. We are talking under 5000 miles total. Maybe there's a reason mounts go bad, unrelated to the manufacturing of the mount?

Quick Reply: Told by a guy at a porsche parts shop that aftermarket motor mounts will do just fine