Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Dead right after car wash!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if it were the DME that is wet, do I just let it dry? Or is it toast?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slang
Ya know, it's probably not related to your problem but, when I used a particular automatic brushless car wash, I would sit in the car with the engine running. If it was warm, I would turn on the AC. Whenever the spray bar got to the front right, my alternator light would come on. It would extinguish a few seconds later, or immediately if I turned the AC off. With the AC off, the light never came on.

I guessed that the AC compressor threw water up on the alternator or a connector somewhere and shorted it out temporarily. Something similar (water in a strange area) could have happened here.

Probably the distributor, though.
Sounds like a wet AC belt- (AC is belt connected to the ALT)- check the tension and for belt glazing.

Originally Posted by Mello
Pop the covers on the DME- if is's moist inside you can dry it out with an air compressor , usually with no harm. If somethings smells funny (like a burned resistor/ cap you have a problem. Smells kinda smoky- sweet)

If you sprayed water into the fender bottom (drivers side) You may have sucked a little water in- the air filter should have stopped it- see if the air filter is wet to eliminate hydrolocking as a cause for the non-start (That takes a LOT of water BTW- like a full intake swallow.)

HTH.

<EDIT> You should hear the fuel pump prime before starting (key in "Run" position- it should whine a bit) You can always jumper (or use the paper trick) your DME RELAY to test the fuel pump's operation.

(Did you test the DME Relay?? 26$ at a Porsche dealer- If you DONT have a spare- get one.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello
Probably not toast. I don't know how the inside of the DME's are set up on this car, are they rivited together? is there spots where water would pocket? Even if it is rivited together, you probably want to pop the rivits and open it up and dry it thoroughly, chances are it will be fine, as long as nothing burnt out, chances are the water is just shorting it.

Edit - Chris, how dare you edit your post after you finished, to add in a reply! Now you beat me to it!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"So if it were the DME that is wet, do I just let it dry? Or is it toast?"

"I don't know how the inside of the DME's are set up on this car, are they rivited together? is there spots where water would pocket?"

It may or may not be toast, depending upon the type of water and whether or not your car was running at the time it got soaked. The DME is simple to disassemble. Instructions under the "Chips Install" section of my 951 RacerX website. If it looks like there's water in it, like it drips when you pull it out, you should take the cover off and rinse it out completely with DISTILLED water. This will remove any deposits and minerals from the tap water. Once the distilled water dries, you're good to go.

This also works with cameras, I once dropped a Nikon N8008 into the ocean in Morea. Called up a Nikon service center in OZ and they said to remove the batteries and quicky submerse it in a tuperware container of distilled water and send it to them. Unfortunately, the minerals in the ocean water had already shorted out the circuits, if it had been in a lake or bathtub, the camera would've probably survived. In the end, they managed to salvage the roll of film for me, came out perfect with no spots or anything!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
R.B.
Instructor

Not to sound condescending, do you have gas in the car? From your description it sounds like you get the car started, which means DME, DME relay, distributor and all are working, then it dies. Sounds like fuel is pressurized, then car starts, but doesn't have enough fuel to continue and then dies.

HTH
-R.B.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I have a quarter tank in the car. I know that the car has run with the fuel guage much lower.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

OK!!!!! So after sitting for 3 hours, and towing the car home (Verizon Roadside), and psyching myself up overnight to tackle this problem, I go outside right now to the car, and it starts right up!!! I believe it was the fuse box. Keep your drains clear! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:55 PM
tomrc
Pro

Funny story, I had my 16v Scirocco at the time and saw one of those charity car washes put on by a local dance school (OK, I'm a perv, but they were mostly 18+ and in bikinis), so I pull it in and let them do their stuff. When they got done I went to start the car and wouldn't you know it it wouldn't start for nothing, a couple of the girls helped me push it to the side so they could wash more cars. I kept trying to start it for awhile but nothing doing, so I had to call my wife and have her bring my tool box so I could check some things. Wife gets there and had to explain why I was getting my car washed for the 2nd time that week.

Anyway after all that my battery ground was loose. Go figure. A very embarrassing day all around.

Quick Reply: Car Dead right after car wash!!!!!!