Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrade stereo system in 944!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
guido944
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade stereo system in 944!!!!!!!!!

i have two 944 i will like to remove the stock radio systems and buy a nice alpine radio system and speaker !!!wich alpine radio will works that match red lights of dash??and i like soem speakers that will sound good but i am not thinking in rock people around me jsut deseant sound in fact i will like speakers taht will fit in the stock holes and can put stock grill to cover ther what size and brand is the best !!thansk alot people guido
Old 04-13-2005, 12:29 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the new Alpine radios are multi-colored, and don't have a set color you can select anymore. I believe the buttons may still be programable as either green or orange, but most manufacturers are doing away with that feature all together.

As to speakers, speakers are highly subjective to the listeners tastes. What you may think sounds awesome, I might think sounds like crap. The only way to buy speakers is to listen to them, and settle on what you like, not what other's like.

------------------------

Why isn't my name here?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:34 AM
guido944
Banned

thanks very much i will keep it in mind !!!but i was waiting for a brand of nice speakers i m 38 and i:m not familiar with speakers brands i don want to go a store here and that they sale me trash !!thanks any way!!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently put some Baupunckt speakers in my car and they sound pritty good (does not take much to surpass those dryrotted stock speakers though). BUt i had to do some work to get them to fit under the stock grates and they still do not fit 100% as the grates fall off once in a while but i like to stock look better so i deal with it. THat is the hardest part. THe size speaker u wil be looking for is a 4x6 oval for all four speakers. as far as the head unit most new ones that take CDs are going to be bright and colorful as that is just the new style.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 AM
spedracer18
Racer

for speakers i would (and have) gone with infinity. kappa series perfects are the best for the money. It also depends on the sound you are going for and the size and total power of the speakers you install. Personally i wouldnt run speakers off the weak power put off by the deck, so i use a small rockford fosgate 400s to power the smaller speakers and a 700s to power my 6x9's. A price range would be helpful. Pioneer speakers are decent for cheap speakers.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Infinity Kappas are probably the best 4x6 speaker you will find. Cost is around 100 a pair.

If you want a color matching deck, look into last years (before they went completely ugly) clarion pro audio. You can choose the light color and they have great sound quality as well.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:04 AM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

In the process of completely redoing my stereo setup, and went with alpine SPS?? (listed on clarks garage) for about $60 a pair. Much improved sound, but they only handle 100 watts. I used a $130 Panasonic head unit mp3 player, cause I wanted all black to match the rest of the interior. Button lights are red, which workes well with the red car. (display is blue) Not as low key as I wanted, but much better than a lot of the alien looking stuff out there today. The Alpine speakers bolted right up, and sound great. Using a separate 6 channel amp to power all the speakers and a 12" sub, so mine might be a little more than what you are after, but it sure sounds good.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

MB Quartz
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I love my eclipse speakers.

god honest though, unless you are are trained in audio, you can hardly tell a damn bit of difference between a lot of this stuff. I sure as hell couldnt.

The audio shop would switch head units and speakers and say

"Do you hear the difference in bass?"

"No."

"Do you hear the tighter percussion?"

"No."

"How about this setup. Do you hear the cleaner vocals?"

"No."

"So which one do you want?"

"I want that one. Its pretty."
Old 04-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

guido,
where are you located?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UDPride, I know a guy in car audio at a local store, and according to him, that's how 99% of people are.

I'm a huge fan of infinity speakers. I'm installing them all around in my 951, however it will be a 14 speaker setup (2 subs, 4 full range speakers, 2 sets of components), with a fiberglass sub box in the back, and new door panels.
If you car is 87 or newer, you can replace the rear 4x6's with 6 1/2" speakers, you just need to make up a filler plate to cover the rest of the hole (both holes are cut in one place). That's what I'm doing for the stock rear locations.
As for the fronts, new door panels are going in, with 2 6 1/2" woofers in the bottom, and 2 severely turned down tweeters up where the window switches would normally be (I'm planning to move them to the center console). I can't stand too much treble, but I don't want to pay for speakers, and just set them on a shelf, so the second set of tweeters is going in. I'm hoping to build all this stuff over the summer, we'll see how it goes

So, as far as replacing the stock system, I've seen a few people buying newer stock Porsche decks to match the dash lighting, and keep a stock look, IIRC they're all made by Blaupunkt, many people are using blaupunkt, MB quartz, alpine and infinity speakers. IMO, MB quartz and infinity are the best, with alpine following up in a very close second.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Make sure the speakers have the euro mounting holes. They are slightly off of the 4x6 american spec mounting points. They're easy to replace - at least the fronts.
Make sure you get speakers that will fit in the door. It's a very shallow speaker in there stock.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
pcarphanatik
Pro

I'm looking to turn my car more towards auto-x/DE, however I would still like to have a stereo.

I will be pulling out the stock speakers and the rear seats. Would a box with a sub and a couple of components work out well for me audio-wise?

I want to do this so that I can have a nice system, but lose the weight when I don't need it.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by UDPride
I love my eclipse speakers.

god honest though, unless you are are trained in audio, you can hardly tell a damn bit of difference between a lot of this stuff. I sure as hell couldnt.

The audio shop would switch head units and speakers and say

"Do you hear the difference in bass?"

"No."

"Do you hear the tighter percussion?"

"No."

"How about this setup. Do you hear the cleaner vocals?"

"No."

"So which one do you want?"

"I want that one. Its pretty."

I'll agree with that statement when it comes to the electronics aspect of it. Decks, amps and EQ's take lab equipment to hear a difference in(for the most part, as some units do color the sound somewhat using bass boost and different loudness settings).

Speakers I highly disagree with. Differences in cone materials, x-over points and overall frequency response is something that anyone with decent hearing can detect when played through the same source with the same source material. This is why I consider speakers to be a 'buy them by ear' thing, as even jumping up a size in the same brand/quality can change the sonic characteristics of a speaker.

As an example.....

I use JBL Studio Series S38 II's in my home theatre. My father uses S36 II's in his. I can't stand the way his speakers sound, even in the store using the same receiver and media. The 36's are more efficient in the mid to high end, which to my ear gives them a hollow tinny sound. Same quality of speakers, exact same midrange driver and tweeter, the only thing that changed was the size of the woofer and the cabinets the speakers are in. He was the exact opposite of me, he liked the 'brightness' of the S36's and found the S38's to be a bit dull sounding.

Speakers should be purchased by listening to them, not by simply following the lemmings. Electronics(decks, amps, etc...) can be suggested, as stated earlier, you'd have to be lab equipment to hear most of differences there.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

http://home.nycap.rr.com/projecthuli...kerInstall.htm
you may find this helpful if you want to get a scotch more bottm end. Also i personally love boston acoustics.

Quick Reply: upgrade stereo system in 944!!!!!!!!!