Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP.........Snapped the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I like that idea. How often do the pistons get damaged in these events?
I don't think its that common, however, if one decides to keep cranking the engine over and over and over with the cambelt broke, you will sigificantly increase the risk of breaking off a valve or more, thus creating nasty havoc inside. At this point, you can only hope that all that got hurt was the piston, and not the bore also........otherwise, your really toast.

This pic is from my avatar car when I first got it. The PO decided to crank and crank and crank after the belt broke. Not a good idea.

This link might be a viable option for new valves/guides/seals. You'll still need the machine shop work, and a head gasket kit, but at least the head will be rebuilt, not overhauled/refreshed......kinda. ebay offering
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1500-$4000, 19 hours, jeez!!
It'll be a couple hundred for any valves that need to be replaced.
A good time to change valve guides and seals. If you have all the parts, expect to have the head rebuilt for under $150, have it thoroughly inspected while it's in there.
95% of the time, there is no appreciable piston damage when this happens, unless you see big marks on the pistons, don't worry.

Pull and re-install it yourself, and you could probably get away with fixing it for $500-$600.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think mine ran ~$500 for the valves, machine shop work, and gasket kit. Before I got this car I had never done much more in an engine than things like replacing a starter but between Clark's Garage and here everything came out great.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I recently did a re-assembly of the top half. Parts were about $450 (used head, Rock's, and all of the needed gaskets to take the head off and put the used one back in) A couple of Rennlisters came over ane we had it all together in about 8-9hrs/beers. Had I been smarter taking it apart I would say about 5 to re-assemble including time between torquing to let things settle (15-20min).

If you got a complete gasket set $120, used head $125, rebuilt head $495 944Online, tools to do the job $100, cleaners etc. $35, coolant and oil $50. You should be able to put together a shopping list from those prices.

Now my engine was a mess to start with and I am still working on it but there is no reason that it should run more than $750-$800 if you do it yourself.

Good luck!

Michael

You CAN do it!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your belt breaking! I just went through this a couple months ago on my 84' NA. I ordered a rebiult head from Ian at 944 Online for $450 + $250 core (which was a beautifuly done) and with that a couple of GENUINE OEM Gates PowerGRIP T-belts made in the UK (I feel the ContiTech belts are inferior to the Gates. I can seem much more of the internal strands showing through on the underside of the Conti, that and I could find no other culprit to my belt breaking other than the belt itself) and $99 for the head gasket set. Do a search for: TIMING BELT BROKE!! and my user name and you will find my write-ups with pics. All in all my order from Ian was $990 and the $250 core was resinstated later so total was $740. Granted I did all the work myself. I did price out all the valves, and just the valves alone were $377 IIRC!! So the rebuilt head was a much better option.

Again sorry to hear about the belt.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
944driver
Advanced

Hi All

I plan to check the tension on my belts tonight (700 mile trip to and from Ohio tomorrow), but I can't seem to get the turn buckles to AC and Power Steering belt tensioners loose. I don't want to strip anything and was wondering if there are any tricks or a special way that these things need to be turned. Does anyone here have any advice might help?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If you don't know how old the belts are it's best to replace them -- now.

Remember a reasonably tensioned new belt is better than an old belt of unknown history

The 83
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944 pilot
Hi All

I plan to check the tension on my belts tonight (700 mile trip to and from Ohio tomorrow), but I can't seem to get the turn buckles to AC and Power Steering belt tensioners loose. I don't want to strip anything and was wondering if there are any tricks or a special way that these things need to be turned. Does anyone here have any advice might help?
Penetrating oil. I'm pretty sure the nuts on both ends of the shaft have to be loosened in order for the turnbuckle to move.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:06 PM
944driver
Advanced

I have already purchased both belts (timing and tensioner) so, my plan is to check (visual inspect) the belts and re-install and tension if they pass. They get scrapped otherwise. Before I do this I need to get access to them. I have done a quick search on turnbuckle and found several threads on these troubling little things. Check out the pictures if they work (yes I do have a oil leak issue also) below and let me know which direction I need to move the vise grip. The nut on the right is already loose. Do I turn the left one in the same direction? I have no intention of joining the club of belt breakers, so if I have to, I'll take the Jeep GC to Ohio tomorrow.

By the way my name is George, I'm relatively new to Porsche and this forum. I have been a big Porsche fan for a long time. I have owned several other cars but just purchased my 1984 944 in December of last year for 1.9K. It's a far cry from perfect but, and incredible car.

I work in the MQS Group of Alcoa here in Lafayette, Indiana. I for the most part support Drawn Tube products but have extensive experience in dealing with Extruded products too.

This is a great forum and will try to contribute in a constructive way whenever possible.

Last edited by 944 pilot; 04-12-2005 at 11:33 PM. Reason: edited typo
Old 04-12-2005, 11:43 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Look closely at the threads. You also have to hold the center when you back off the second jam nut. Also get and use a proper set of wrenches. You will need two of some of the wrenches. Get combination wrenchs; both ends the same size, one open and one closed or "boxed".

The 83
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

My84-944,

Re: check with Russell on parts....

I do not know Russell personally, but he is an acquaintance of my buddy who also owns 944s. I understand he lives in Tacoma and Longview. My buddy mentioned that Russell may be in at the Portland International Raceway this weekend to attend the SCCA races. I see you are from Portland. You may want to check with him while he is in town.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:52 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

when i put my tensioners on I set them so both jam nuts break downward. th enext time i dont have to think about which way to turn the nuts. Also, remember to loosen the bolts that attach the tensioner to the A/C compressor and P/S pump before you loosen the tensioner nuts - otherwise chance of snapping the ends on old tensioners.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

If the turnbuckle nuts do not come free I would just take out the bolt that the the holds the turnbuckle onto the power steering (13mm), and the AC compressor so you can remove the that belt as well to access the covers.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You will only need to adjust the turnbuckles if the a/c and power steering pump belts are loose. Keep in mind that one end of the turn buckle has reverse threads. Otherwise I just remove the bolts at the turnbuckle ends and remove the entire turnbuckle without adjusting it.

Also the most important part to this repair, is to get a belt tensioning tool to properly tension the cam and balance shaft belts.

If you do not, you will be doing this repair again.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:00 PM
my84-944
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I should be starting on this soon. I am hoping to anyway. It also turns out that had I not broken the t-belt, I may have not known about a group of other 944 guys out here in Oregon. So some good with the bad will no doubt come if this. BTW, I hope my pistons and head looks better than yours did Granite.
Also a warm welcome to you George. I hope we see you around, and good luck with your project. I will keep you all informed as to the progress on this.
Charlie, I followed your link, but did not see a full write up. I will look again.
Luckily Clarks Garage has the shop manuals and I already have the Haynes, so with a few new tools I may begin this week end.
Thanks again all,
Chris...

Quick Reply: HELP.........Snapped the timing belt?