Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt spring tensioner upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Timing belt spring tensioner upgrade??

I am working on the timing belts on my 85.5NA. The oil seals started leaking due to lack of usage and overall age I guess more than mileage (car has 30K orig miles) So I figured it was time to take the opportunity to go through everything in there.

At about 22-23K miles I had done the water pump update and belts etc. At the time I replaced everything except the crank and cam seals, which are now the ones that are seeping.

I know that in 87 porsche updated the belt tensioner to a spring loaded one. Can the spring tensioner be used on a the 85.5 motor??

I never had any problems tensioning the belts using a cricket tensioner on any 944's I have done in the past. But it is a pita to say the least and one would think that porsche updated it for a reason.

I know that in the past there have been discussions about the pros and cons of the spring tensioner but usually led nowhere.

Any thoughts or general opinions. Can it even be used on a 85.5? If yes, what is the procedure/parts required for installing one?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I know that in the past there have been discussions about the pros and cons of the spring tensioner but usually led nowhere.
On the contrary, I think the argument/debate in that recent thread was very informed, and showed there were definite pros and cons for each set-up. To go with the auto-tensioner or not is not so much a clear case of right or wrong, as much as a matter of philosophy and personal preference.

FWIW, I have the spring tensioner on my car, and I like it because it gives an initial opinion about what the belt tension should be, that I can go and verify with the krikit tension gauge. The comfort level of using the krikit gauge in conjunction with another tensioner, rather than completely stand-alone, outweighs the clearly stated (and valid) potential disadvantages. For me, that is. YMMV.

-Mark
Old 04-11-2005, 02:53 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

So am I to assume that the tensioner can be used on a 85.5?? Do you know what parts are needed for the swap and what is required?

I am not trying to say that there was anything wrong with that thread, but after reading it I definatly did not come away with a "this is what I am going to do opinion"

I would think that the spring tensioner would be a nice upgrade (porsche obvously did), but after reading that thread I am a bit leary of it and am curious as to if anyone has had one fail. Usually parts that have bad raps have them for a reason.

Quick Reply: Timing belt spring tensioner upgrade??