Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna talk anal, OCD, top this

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wanna talk ****, OCD, top this

It was nice out today. not cold, but not warm. The sun was shining when it wasnt cloudy.

I decided to take the passenger seat out and install the FE mount.

I got the 6mm allen that fits a socket wrench, got a 6mm allen, the socket set and the ole lectrik screwdrivah.

Took the six allens out and tilted the seat. Said to myself, self this should be a piece of cake. Forgot that the forward aft lever gets in the way. tried to mount the bracket and dropped a nut in the mechanism.

Took the seat out and laid it on the lawn. fiddled with the lever, then took the handle of the hammer, used it as a crowbar, and bent the lever out of the way.

Problem numero uno solved.

Mounted the bracket using the three gold nuts & bolts. went into the trunk of the GTO where there was a small bag of nuts & bolts from the mounting kit to the trunk CD player from the Legend Coupe. Never used the kit because it wedged into a box in the trunk.

Turns out they were the same thread & diameter, just a bit longer, and black instead of gold colored. I have a nut that fits. problem numero dos solved. or so you think

So I put the black nut on the gold bolt and the job is done. Or so you think.

I take off the gold bolt and put a black one on.

Then, I take the other three gold nuts and bolts off and put the three black ones on.

Yep, I effectively mounted the bracket twice because the color of the screws on the frame under the seat, with a view that is blocked by the mount, that probably cannot be seen using a dentists mirror was different.

The good news is it was only four screws. the pathetic news is that it was done.

So what jobs have you done twice because you are ****/ocd?

My neighbors wife (i guess she is also my neighbor) (the neighbor looking for a porsche) is walking by. I show her my masterpiece, she tells me her husband would have done the same thing. thinks we are both retarded.

My neighbor down the block is a total maniac genious. He had his house knocked down, and is building another with a pool facing the water, etc.

He has a very rare recent Honda motorcycle that he bought because of the nifty technical things used to make it (cant remember name), and is riding past us. I stop him, hold up a gold bolt, he is about 10 feet away and says 8mm. I say 10mm wrench, he says 8mm thread, come by and he will give me more if I need them.

I say I put three gold ones on, then needed a nut, had four black ones. before I could say anything else he says "change em all". she is standing there laughing.

yes virginia, there are three of us each living two houses away from one another on the same block.

spooky, very spooky.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:59 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a bit ****, but I spent an hour and a half or so scrubbing 16 years of grime off the topside of the belly pan under the car. I ended up just taking it off after going through a can of Braklean on the bottom side of it. . . its starting to look like new again, just need to find an old tooth brush for the corners.

still think we're long lost cousins???
Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I could cook eggs on my belly pan.. It's very clean.

Hi . My name is Chris.. and My engine bay is never clean enough...
Old 04-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Clowd
Pro

Hmm, not car related, but I need to make a nest. Even at home. A plop stopper too. Is that so weird?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, I want to start hanging out around all you nutjobs. I thought I was bad.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

when I saw **** in this title I thought Tom finally went a little too deep...

But I realize I'm more compulsive and ****.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
thats a bit ****, but I spent an hour and a half or so scrubbing 16 years of grime off the topside of the belly pan under the car. I ended up just taking it off after going through a can of Braklean on the bottom side of it. . . its starting to look like new again, just need to find an old tooth brush for the corners.

still think we're long lost cousins???
i did the same thing to the coolant reservoir on my red S2!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Oh well, thread wasn't about what I thought it was about. Too bad too..
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 951's undercarriage never looked particularly dirty to me when on jackstands, but seeing it in the harsh light of day on our PCA region tech chair's lift with Tom yesterday started to bug me. It festered overnight. I made it until 3:00pm today before I went out to the commercial garage where I keep the car with a bottle of soapy water and began the process of detailing (or at least cleaning up) my 951's undercarriage.

BTY -- Tom, you're right, the spare tire well undercoating is black on my car. Who knew -- I always thought it was supposed to be light, errr... dirt colored.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at Stig's post on OT//
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm now two days into cleaning off my transmission (top & bottom) so that when I repaint it the paint won't flake off where there is greese in the corners of the casting.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I use baby wipes and Q-Tips to clean the bottom of my car.... does that count as ****!?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
I use baby wipes and Q-Tips to clean the bottom of my car.... does that count as ****!?
That's just wrong.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i use baby wipes to clean leather seats. The non alcohol ones. Pampers are highly recommended.

I figure if it is gentle enough for my daughters smooth "baby but", it is good for leather seats.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
BigRed
Pro

I like how you and your neighbors are so close (relationally) that you speak to each other in broken half sentences. My brother and I do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Wanna talk anal, OCD, top this