Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the inner tie rods? (urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 AM
cbseven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you remove the inner tie rods? (urgent)

I just installed a rack and pump from an S2 into my 1984 944, and realized that the tie rods are slightly too long, so i'll need to bring the swap on my old set. Question is, how do you get them off?

Thanks.. my car is down.. and i'm without transportation until I figure this one out. ;p

don't laugh too much - you've all been there! lol...

thanks!

-craig
Old 04-09-2005, 01:48 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove them pull the rubber bellows off and unscrew them.
Don't think the later PS tie rod will work on the early PS racks.
Don't think the manual rods will work either.

The 83
Old 04-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have early PS tie rods they will swap out. When you pull back the boot you will see two flats on the inner ball joint. A wrench goes over them to unscrew. Also you will see a rib. This rib is peened over into a notch in the rack to lock the tie rods in place. You may or may not need to bent this back out. I have never come across one that I could not just power free with the wrench, but it can happen.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:01 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Told you to change them!! Racks are the same for early and late cars. Craig why didn't you call me earlier? I would have come over and helped you out, I finished up with my motor around 8:30. Anyways you want to extend one side of the rack out so you can get a grip on it and then put a wrench on the socket of the inner tie rod and unscrew it. I'm surprised that none of your mechanics over there couldn't help you out with that.

If you still don't have it tomorrow call me and I'll try and slip down there after work, might be kinda late but I won't know exactly when until I'm almost done.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:27 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

A usual problem with these is having large enough wrenches.

The rack has got to be counter-held by those flats. Find an wrench for that, maybe a big Crescent wrench.

The inner end on the tie rod can be handled using a vice grips. A pair with the curved jaws will work. Clamp it down hard.

To be sure I'm not cranking on the rack, I'll lever between the wrenches with a breaker bar or whatnot. This gets a lot of torque on the joint without applying much force to the pinion or seals.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the inner tie rods? (urgent)