Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A productive post about non-members and signatures (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005 | 01:28 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Clearly you are all mistaken.

The Physical Layer of the networking tower is indeed a tricky one. While a stack of 1U's may fix it, it will also cause a large data cache hole due to excessive pinging and stringing. This will not be a problem at first, but over time as more people browse rennlist, it will create .bin cache files of epic proportions. I dont know about you, but I personally wouldnt want to deal with the catostrophic .bin files.

Now, we can avoid this and still have cheap, fast and avalible bandwidth at our fingertips. We can fuse a Linux box with a Unix base version of Red hat, then add the most sucessful version of Windows and we will get Red Hat Unixdows 3.1. Using this software we can allow processing power to be increased by an optimal 403.17% based on SiSoftware Sandra's "***-Tearing" benchmark. To further promote the bandwidth, I will get a breast reduction and will be taking donations for a sex change. Using the friction caused from my breast reduction, we can then multiply it by the amount of big words the dude in the chair used on Matrix Reloaded. The final percentage of increased bandwidth will be 1,428,142.12%. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Until then ill Leave it to John D. Hes seems to have got this down.
Old 04-09-2005 | 01:37 AM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Well, I'm getting ready to trade in an HPv2600 with 12 processors and 16gb of RAM in on some RP8400's. Maybe I could talk them into sliding it out the back door instead. I'm sure we're getting pennies on the dollar for trade in anyway.

Now if you can get Linux to run on PA-RISC.....
Old 04-09-2005 | 01:38 AM
Doug85.5944na
Instructor

Somebody is working their butts off, and the Queen and I thank you.
Old 04-09-2005 | 01:53 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Rock, please keep your negative comments to yourself.
Old 04-09-2005 | 01:56 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Hey that wasnt a negative comment... im just playing brother.

I just was giving you guys my feedback on running a server, because seriously, I have no idea what youre talking about.
Old 04-09-2005 | 02:06 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Once again, Brett Jenkins--now at 301 posts, registered in April 2002, AAARRRRGH!!!
Some people just do not catch on.
Old 04-09-2005 | 04:36 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icat
Just my 0.02 worth. Anybody got change for a nickle.
Here ya go!
Old 04-09-2005 | 05:25 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm all for limiting the size of pics in people's sigs. I wouldn't be happy about getting rid of the pics all together, but i can see how it might be needed. Whatever you guys decied is fine by me.

Except if it causes me physical pain. That isn't ok. Also you guys can't decide to take my car.
Old 04-09-2005 | 09:53 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

For whatever it's worth, at Ricecop we've put restrictions on sig sizes as well, both on dimensions and file size. It helps. A lot.

I'm not so cozy with the "no sigs for non-members" thing, because I think it would end up being more fodder in the members v. non-members wars that pop up every couple of days...

BB.
Old 04-09-2005 | 10:40 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

BB, It's 18 bucks for a year subscription, people waste that kinda cash monthly! This is one of the most economical investments you can make in your car and passion as enthusiasts. People can step up to the plate, pay their dues, or sit in the stands and bitch about it!
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:28 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I'm not arguing that it is a worthwhile investment of money. My funds are tight right now, which is why I bought the cheaper (per year) 2-year subscription...

But still, I do see many members coming across as somehow "superior" because they pay a membership, and personally, I don't like that attitude. I think it is very counter-productive here; it creates too much tension and it really does not make this forum a better place. It has been the source of too many arguments here.

In the end, though, since John D. hasn't required that people pay to use this forum, I really don't think it's our place to "require" it for him.

BB.
Old 04-09-2005 | 12:24 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
since John D. hasn't required that people pay to use this forum, I really don't think it's our place to "require" it for him.
Agreed. I think it's ridiculous that someone who posts every once in a wihle with a problem or two should be badgered into buying a membership, no matter how long they've been around or how many posts they have.
Old 04-09-2005 | 12:35 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rock
Hey that wasnt a negative comment... im just playing brother.

I just was giving you guys my feedback on running a server, because seriously, I have no idea what youre talking about.
I thought it was quite funny myself. You actually had me going there for a second Rock. I was thinking damn, I had no idea Rock knew any of this stuff... then I got to the second half.

Yes Chris - it's a RISC 6000 that my wife's company wasn't using any more. They told me to come get it or they would toss it in the garbage (it's a really small unit - about the size of two deep dish pizza boxes stacked on top of one another). Did come with a nice optical drive though...
Old 04-09-2005 | 03:10 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

John,

Maybe you should check out a different bulletin board alltogether. Invision Board is, or was, free. Users can place thier location and car specs in the area under their Username and Avatar. It also gives the Admin the ability to set signature file sizes and avatar sizes to keep your bandwidth useage down.

Check out the features and format of tristarion, www.tristarion.com and also http://www.invisionboard.com/

Disclaimer... I am not affiliated with Invisionboard, it's subsidiaries, it's founder, it's founder's wife, any of their pet animals, or Burger King. I just happened to of been an Administrator at one time for an IB forum, and moderate on Tristarion, plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nigth.
Old 04-09-2005 | 03:17 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

I also agree with the orinal poster. Perhaps alittle extra moderator policeing(sp?) could help keep signature file sizes to a minimum. Most bulletin board software would allow moderators to disable peoples signatures and avatars if they were too large, bandwidth wise. Set a limit size in the rules and guidelines, and if someone breaks the limit, the sig gets removed.

Mine was fairly small, no pictures or hyperlinks, it merely had:

Jack
83 Porsche 944
88 Chrysler Conquest TSi SHP
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
62 VW Beetle, undergoing restoration

^ or very close to that.

Quick Reply: A productive post about non-members and signatures (I hope)