Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for factory paint information

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:52 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for factory paint information

I'm doing prep work on my car for paint right now. I did a search but had trouble finding information about the original paint on the car; i.e., is it enamel, laquer, is ther a clear coat... All very simple questions, but I don't know much on the subject. Whatchya got? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:31 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Most of our cars came without a clear coat. I think it's a laquer type paint but I'm not sure on that.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:31 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Hm...If I use a spray can for touch up primer where I'm hammering out some dents, is it most likely laquer based? It didn't mention on the can. My biggest concern is that it will end up being enamel some how, and when the laquer paint at a shop goes on, the paint will lift. I didn't go for suuuper cheap primer, but it's not $10 a can, either. I think it's Rust-Oleum brand, called Painter's Touch Primer. I've got good enough technique (sanding, spraying, etc.); I just need to make sure I won't have problems down the road because I bought the wrong stuff!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:31 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the shop that will be spraying the car and ask them what they'd like you to use. They'll know what is compatible with the paint system they plan to use, or can tell you that they don't want you to use anything. All metallic cars came clear coated. For your particular car, you can tell pretty easily whether there's a clear coat or not on the paint just by using some polishing compound. If any color comes off on the rag, there's no clear coat on it.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:59 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KLR
All metallic cars came clear coated. For your particular car, you can tell pretty easily whether there's a clear coat or not on the paint just by using some polishing compound. If any color comes off on the rag, there's no clear coat on it.
Hm. That's a good idea.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Metallics all had clear, single stage like my speed yellow do not. Just put some polishing compound on a rag, rub the paint-if you get color on the cloth you have single stage.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
944driver
Advanced

The finished body shell leaves body shell assembly and is transported to the paint shop via a conveying bridge.

Painting Porsche vehicles can be broken down into five processes:

1. Pretreatment: The fully galvanized bodies are cleaned, degreased and coated with zinc phosphatizing.
2. Cathodic dip painting (KTL): The entire body incl. the cavities is coated by means of cathodic dip painting to increase the corrosion protection.
3. Underbody protection with joint sealing: The underbody protection comprises a 0.4 to 1.3 mm thick layer of PVC.
4. Automatic filler coating: The filler coat acts as protection against stone impacts. The painting process is followed by drying at approx. 160 degree Celsius.
5. 5. Manual application of final paint coat: The vehicles are painted in special booths under clean room conditions. The drying temperatures lie at approx. 140 degree C.

All Porsche paints, except the clear coat, are based on environmentally-friendly water-based paint technology. In addition to standard and metallic color finishes, Porsche also offers special color tones and colors according to individual choice.

© 2005 Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Legal notice. Privacy policy. Contact us.

Quick Reply: Looking for factory paint information