Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler reseal w/o 9215 alignment tool??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler reseal w/o 9215 alignment tool??

Anyone done an early oil cooler reseal (with success) NOT using the recommended 9215 tool (or arnnworx equiv) on the cooler housing?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:33 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read posts where some have just used the OPRV itself as the alignment tool. Just don't tighten the cooler until the OPRV can easily be threaded in.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Since I've got the early three piece OPRV I'm wondering if you can use the valve itself to align.

I did read on clarks-garage that the later style is more prone to misalignment. This might be due to the fact that the actual valve is longer and would bind in the housing easier.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going after the fix this weekend. If I can't get it to align properly, I'll buy one from Bruce. and finish up this week. I'll post photos and a write-up.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 AM
njwilser
Instructor

I changed out the oil cooler seals w/out the align. tool on my early 85. Take your time and make sure the relief valve doesnt bind as you tighten the housing. Once the housing is bolted tight, remove the relief valve and make sure it has free movement in and out. Compared to removing/reinstalling the cooler and housing, the relief valve wasn't that tricky. Removing the assembly w/ the manifolds in place is kinda like a rubics cube. Rotate twist to clear one obstacle then a different position to finally remove.
mw
Old 04-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Thanks for the words of encouragement! This is what Rennlist is all about - thank you. I'm getting after it right away w/o the 9215 alignment tool. I know that you guys (and gals) all love photos, so I'll shoot away!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:42 AM
yoyoguy2
Racer

i just did mine, and it seems (to me) that it would be hard to do a 3 piece one without the tool. the "binding" that could occurr would be keeping the piston piece from moving back (out?), and it would be hard to make sure the piston can move freely, as it's not really attached to anything very well. if it does bind up some, you couldn't really realign the housing, just unbolt and try again.

i've only done this once, but it seems the tool helped a lot. that being said, the "tool" is nothing more than a big rod, you could probably use somethign else, like a wooden dowel or a bolt, that would do the same job. i think this would work better than trying to use the valve, but obviously it's been done. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler reseal w/o 9215 alignment tool??