Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unusual electrical question

So, I'm starting to re-organze everything for my 951, as the block is being worked on, and will be done within a week, so I need to get ready to put it back together.
On my list of things to do, is sort out some electrical gremlins, and upgrade the battery/alternator/starter wiring, which I will be doing with some large gauge welding cable. What I'm wondering is, what is the best way to keep the cable ends and such from corroding?

I am considering putting everything together, using a bit of grease to displace the water, and this is a rather unusual idea, but brushing some latex over them, to keep the water out.
Is this a crazy idea, or do you guys think this might be remotely sensible?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why wouldn't this be sensible? Crimp _and_ solder for a solid connection, then apply some barrier to keep it clean. Probably lots of different materials you could use... latex is probably fine, but some other barrier might be harder wearing.

Why not PM Iceshark and see what his thinking is? He's got this down to a science, from what I understand. The guys from NASA are asking him to be the quality control guy for the next generation space shuttle. Congress will never fund it, however!

-Mark
Old 04-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, iceshark working on a space shuttle. That's not so far fetched, the only problem is he doesn't charge enough for those guys. They seem to think that the more it costs to hire somebody, the better they are...

The large wiring will be both crimped and soldered, I have the correct connectors for that, so there won't be a problem there, they will be completely mechanically secure. I was just thinking back to removing these wires.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:07 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a product that my father used on his tools. Hammer, wrench handles, etc... I think it was shock proof and inexpensive. I can not quite recall the name but it is a rubberized paint. Easy to dip tools in and hardens around the tool to create a tough coating, but is able to be cut with a razor or box knife (ask me how I know) and soft to the touch. Maybe some one here will know it by name, I called it tool dip. This may work, though I can not attest to conductivity. I have not been able to locate it in web serches, but pladti-dip did come up for different applications. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Unusual electrical question