Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring and connector to the oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wiring and connector to the oxygen sensor

I need to install the oxygen sensor on my (early) 944. I already bought a universal single-wire sensor. The sensor comes with a very short wire. I could splice it to the existing wire, but:
the connector (on top/behind of the engine) is partially broken, and I'm not sure if it contacts well. I'd like to remove this connector, and replace the wire to the oxygen sensor with a new one.
I need some hints here, e.g.
the (green) sensor wire that goes to the DME is a shielded wire. Is the wire from the sensor to the connector (mentioned above) also shielded?
Do I need to use teflon coates wire, etc, or regular wire insulation would melt near the exhaust?
Any suggestions for off-the-shelf replacements for this connector, or I just should solder it permanently? I know there needs to be an opening for air to get to the sensor somehow through the wires, but air could get there where I splice the wire form the sensor (15cm from the sensor).
Also, for the same reason, I think it wouldn't be good to put heat shrink around that splicing. On the other hand, dirt will get there eventually, so what do I do?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem with my '84. I just cut the busted connector off and used spade style crimp on connectors. The best connectors are the ones with plastic covers. Don't worry about the braided shield, just put some heat shrink over it.

When you splice in the new nensor, use a crimp on butt splice. You do not want to solder the O2 sensor lead because the sensor gets its reference atomsphere through the gaps between the insulation and the wire strands. If you solder the splice you seal the insulation to the wire and the sensor is useless.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlotte944
Don't worry about the braided shield, just put some heat shrink over it.
you're saying that section of the cable is not braided?

Another question: is it OK to put antisieze on the threads, or that would interfere/damage the sensor?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:23 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, I just had this conversation w/someone last night. His comments were:

1. That wire is a specific length for a reason. There is a very low ohm reading that goes to the DME. If the wire is too long it will change that reading due to resistance lost or gained caused by the longer/shorter wire. It will be slight however it is already low. Not much room for variation.

2. Cut back the outer wire housing and strip it back far enough to expose the shielding. Pull back the shielding and cut the interior wire and cover. Cut back that wires cover enough to solder the replacement to the harness side.

3. Do the same thing with the harness side wiring. Wrap the newly soldered connection and use something like electrical tape to cover the exposed center wire, or you could use a very small butt connector with a VERY thin plastic cover.

4. Pull the outer sheilding wire back over the new connection making sure that you have good contact or overlap between the terminal end and the harness end of the wire.

5 Now shrink wrap over the entire connection.

Just make sure that the wire ends up as close to the original length as possible when you are finished. Take your time and plan out what you are doing before you make any cuts. Not much room for error "IF" you want the O2 sensor to do what it is supposed to do.

I am sure that he will correct some portion of this later BUT I think that I have described it pretty well.

Good luck,

Michael

Quick Reply: Wiring and connector to the oxygen sensor