Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A AIR FILTER TESTING HAS BEGUUUN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005 | 03:08 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StupEd05
Watch it CAMPECK! Us kids gotta watch it round here! dont wanna **** off any of the oldies! lol
I'm doing this to help the N/A guys out with out having to do anything major.
I dont appreciate my efforts being called a waste of time...
Old 04-04-2005 | 03:17 AM
StupEd05
Pro

A fair request... I appreciate your effort! I'm also very interested in your results. Dont let people detract from your efforts. Continue, you have my attention.
Old 04-04-2005 | 03:21 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by SoCal Driver
What a waste of time. You have to change the intake runners between the plenum and the head to make any change in the engines performance.

Wrong
Old 04-04-2005 | 04:16 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

So you cut the safety brackets off of the headlight right?
Old 04-04-2005 | 04:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
I'm doing this to help the N/A guys out with out having to do anything major.
I dont appreciate my efforts being called a waste of time...
Well, admit you're not doing anything profound - with really little value to us.

However, I don't blame you. I like to do similar things, whether beneficial or not. It's good to see young minds working.

But really - be mindful of your elders.
Old 04-04-2005 | 08:30 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Serge944
Well, admit you're not doing anything profound - with really little value to us.
How do you know? Seriously.

Originally Posted by Serge944
But really - be mindful of your elders.
Where was he rude to his elders? If you want to talk about rude, how about telling the kid what he's doing is of little value?

Campeck, when you test this, also run the tube through the hole in the fender and place the filter down into the fender. Get some real length on that and try a bunch of lengths.
Old 04-04-2005 | 11:55 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

yeah. I need some extra tube for that. going to check out NAPA in a while.
The headlight bracket isn't cut off....for now.
I popped the headlights up and disconnecte4d (edit: haha..l33T Sp33k) the motor so I wouldn't accidentally put them back down.
I may have to cut it off though depending on the final setup.

serge. I want to be able to maybe market these if i can make a good one. so It would benefit us.
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:12 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Geo

Wrong
In relation to changing the intake system. Porsche uses the vairable length intakes on the 911/997's.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

There are two sides to the intake; before the plenum and after the plenum. Before the plenum is the AFS and the filter. Changind the flow into the AFS may marginally change the AFS response. More than likely not so much you would notice. This is akin to washing and waxing the car. You would swear that it put on 20 more horses.

The plenum on the intake is the buffer. Like a large capacitor. It ignores anything on the up flow side.

Unless you stick pressure transducers all through the intake and use a dyno this is a waste of time.

And it's not aerodynamics that governs the flow in the intake.
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:33 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

All this arguing really worth a 5-6HP improvement????
Old 04-04-2005 | 02:31 PM
HughA44s
Instructor

CAMPECK - PRESS-ON and ignore the critics - they know not what they say. I will look for all the .1 secs and 5hp changes I can find. We are starting with only 150hps to begin with!
Old 04-04-2005 | 02:34 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

If we can gain 5-6HP from a really simple, minor modification, why not?

Although I do not think your G-Meter testing method is very valid (WAY too many variables), your ambition is great. Get some proper testing done on a dyno, and maybe you can help lay the CIA/cone filter debate to rest!
Old 04-04-2005 | 04:46 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HughA44s
CAMPECK - PRESS-ON and ignore the critics - they know not what they say. I will look for all the .1 secs and 5hp changes I can find. We are starting with only 150hps to begin with!
dont worry.
some ppl are just ignorant.
Old 04-04-2005 | 05:07 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Ashton, go for it. I was disappointed with my results, which was why I stopped the project. Sorry if I was giving you sh*t in any way. I say go for it, but you don't have to lose anything if you do the project right and your budget won't be exceeded. Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2005 | 05:30 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by SoCal Driver
In relation to changing the intake system. Porsche uses the vairable length intakes on the 911/997's.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

There are two sides to the intake; before the plenum and after the plenum. Before the plenum is the AFS and the filter. Changind the flow into the AFS may marginally change the AFS response. More than likely not so much you would notice. This is akin to washing and waxing the car. You would swear that it put on 20 more horses.

The plenum on the intake is the buffer. Like a large capacitor. It ignores anything on the up flow side.

Unless you stick pressure transducers all through the intake and use a dyno this is a waste of time.

And it's not aerodynamics that governs the flow in the intake.

Big deal. A lot of companies use variable intakes. It's not really that special.

Well, keep on with what you think you know. The FACT is that resonance tuning of CAIs does in fact work and the gains on a lot of the popular cars that use them are real. They are repeatable and documented in controlled dyno testing. The plenum does not make the upstream side irrelevant. My fear with the 944 is that the barn door AFM is impediment enough to negate any improvements in air flow. Shouldn't though, but you never know. The AFM barn door could be the biggest buffer in the system.

I don't know where anybody said anything about aerodynamics governing the flow. Fluid dynamics (of which aero is a part) and resonance tuning does for sure.
Old 04-04-2005 | 05:34 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheStig
All this arguing really worth a 5-6HP improvement????
For me, 5 hp is massive! I am extremely restricted by the rules and the intake before the AFM is free in my class. I will definitely be working out a CAI for my car. If Campeck can do some testing now, that will just get me that much further. I'm still concerned about the barn door and how it may affect the flow. I'm also concerned about the shape of the venturi in the adapter. The tubing attaching to it is round and the openning in the AFM is rectangular, therefore a complicated adapter would be necessary to keep the air flowing smoothly and minimizing turbulence.

Quick Reply: N/A AIR FILTER TESTING HAS BEGUUUN!