Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The thread from hell (Was: FS UNIQUE 85.5 944)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Gator,
I suggest you start a new thread for your car, and lock this one.
Welcome. You were doing the right thing from the start.
This
Originally Posted by Tom R.
Just an observation

It cost me $50 to put an ad in autotrader for my Z28. SOLD
It cost me about $60 to put my Z28 on eBay. Reserve not met
It cost me $50 to put my RX-7 Convertible on eBay. SOLD

It cost me $18 a year to be a member of Rennllist.

I sold stuff on Rennlist, I also paid John to be a member before I took the liberty of using his bandwith to sell something.

Is this the same car?:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/94700-85-5-944-auto-4-sale-no-tranny-1250-obo.html
Begat this
Originally Posted by Gatorone2001
Just so you guys know, I did try to sign up first prior to posting the ad (notice time on emails and first post time). The order got rejected for some insane reason and I could not sign up on the actual site and had to go to some CCNOW website. I actually sent the mod a note to help me sign up.

So pls go easy on the comments and the mod can send me a note anytime (harry_work@hotmail.com) to help sign up.
and it was over as far as i was concerned until this:
Originally Posted by 944 Hooligan
tom, i am sure the modest $18 he charges from everyone here more than covers the hosting costs, not including any sponsorship money. i run a few boards myself and know a bit about what it takes to keep things operational. hosting prices these days is pretty cheap, and bandwidth is almost a past issue with add-on packages.

so the guy posted a car for sale without having his membership finalized. big deal. if that's all the harm done, who cares. why make such a stink about it and make the guy feel like a jerk? you getting some kind of kick back? how about something a little more tactful like "hey, nice car. you know, it helps to please the more uptight members of the board if you register as a member before you post an itme for sale. welcome!"
Which begat this:
Originally Posted by John D.
I think I’ll ignore the flames and such as well. I know Jen has contacted Gatorone2001 in private – and until they get the details worked out - Gatorone2001 is now a Rennlist Member – gratis. Much of which is a result of this thread. See – in my limited world – the intent is as good (sometimes better) then the follow through. Gatorone2001 – Welcome to Rennlist..!….

Now – about the hosting… Not that this is a “hot button” of mine – but here goes……

Interesting. $13.95 a month you say? I'm all over that..... Hey - I'm always looking for cheaper ways.

Maybe one of those fine folks could get a quote for me from their $13.95 web hosting companies? Here are the Rennlist site requirements - and for $13.95, sign me up. If it costs MORE then $13.95 a month - you pay the difference…..

Do we have a deal?

Rennlist requirements as of today (no site growth) -
Storage space - 500GB on-line on the primary servers (we can't forget the galleries containing ~22,000 pictures, upload, classifieds and Member websites (92GB), and all the other features?)... Other specific requirements (and exact storage space) also includes:

Total available bandwidth: Let's see - I have 4 dedicated high-speed circuits, the largest being a 9.6Mbps MUXed circuit and the smallest being a piddly old T1. The other two fall in between those two bandwidth ranges. Total aggregate is about 15Mbps - which, during peak - all four circuits run at about 95-100% utilization (according to my MTRG monitors).

Database requirements: Both MySQL and SQLServer - 14 databases, the largest is approximately 5GB. Response time of these databases must be no less the 220 KBps from behind multiple managed firewalls.. Ummm - you may have noticed that the Rennlist Forum alone has now over 2,000,000 archived posts, so when several thousand or more Rennlist users are on line at the same time, and a few are "searching" - it won't bring the database/forum to it's knees. It's not tough - just a bit of programming to build an index of 2,000,000 posts. But, for $13.95 - they should be able to do that.

Web pages. Roughly 45,000 static pages.

Domains. Approximately 34 Top level domains and 262 Second Level domains. All TLDs need their own static IPs of course, and many of the SLDs. Total requirement will be three full /26 IP allocations. And oh - that's if they support NAT routing.

Daily bandwidth - 20GB~30GB per day (depends on whether it's a weekday or weekend, but it's usually about ~30GB+/- for each of the five work days a week) - 10Mb/s during peak. And oh, there is no throttling, but rather round-robin on a secondary circuit as backup.

E-mail list hosting - Ummm - 82,000 double-opt in users. These e-mail lists average a combined total of approximately 750 original messages per day and about 32% are in Digest mode. Anyway, I need a host capable of sending out approximately 5,000,000 e-mails a day, without triggering all the SPAM and Black holes - including about 20,000 Digests (some are large, so shared bandwidth may be an issue) starting at 12 PM. Total archive size for those are - umm - about 87GB for the past 8 years – and about 1GB per month growth today. I might mention that they need to be "indexed" in real time - and on top of the archive, the index takes about 13GB using MCST Index Server. It's how I get the contextual search feature in the e-mail list messages, but not to quibble - the Index refresh needs only occur in 2 hour increments, or it will lose posts and corrupt.

E-mail Domain hosting. Ummm - I need domain mail servers for my Domains which allows for 865 e-mail clients including: POP3/SMTP/IMAP/WAP/Web Client. With 20MB of storage space per account (that’s just under 18GB of storage for that feature).

DNS. I run, host, program and am the AOA for two FQDNS (SOA) which do all the reverse lookups BEFORE taking in and sending e-mail to the lists, domain accounts, sites, etc. to all my domains. Rennlist needs these for several reasons – and if you have to ask why, you shouldn’t be the one getting the Rennlist quotes for the $13.95 hosting option.

Operating system support - Both Linux & Windows 2000/2003 with - PHP, PERL, NetPBM, ASP, CGI, FTP, GD.. There are a bunch more requirements, but those should be a good start...

And - as a caveat....

1) The Hosting provider may NOT harvest your e-mail from their systems to sell to SPAMMERS (there are about 300,000 e-mail addresses of Porsche owners on Rennlist - and I have no idea what they are worth to SPAMMERS, as I've never tried selling them? No bets on a "cheap" hosting service - I mean, they have to make their money somehow to have "falling prices".)).

2) No third party Cookies to track users browsing and then pop up third-party ads (another good one which is often a "feature" of low cost hosting plans.).

3) No Spyware and NO BANNER ads - period. I realize they offer "cheap hosting" - but the price is actually paid somewhere by someone.

We should well do those $13 hosting plans - and when the site goes off after a few hours on the first day of the months because it has exceeded it's monthly allocation - for the remaining 30 days of that month - I can regain my "life".

Further – I won’t even mention the cost of the servers, switches, drive arrays, cabling, routers, firewalls, software licenses, electricity, insurance, etc., etc.. But – I’m pretty certain these costs are recurring. Or they have been for almost 9 years since doing this “Porsche Enthusiast Site”. And forget “time” and “salary” – I’ve chosen to donate that, as well as Jen has - so we can afford to make "site upgrades" and keep everything "running".

And not to mention the Rennlist Members, Sponsors and Moderators - who make Rennlist - well, "Rennlist". Each and every day.

Anyway - sure, send the quotes my way. In the meantime - I'll keep my "day jobs" so Rennlist "keeps the lights on".... I also presume that for $13.95, they can also reply to the approximately 1000~2000 Admin e-mails a day. I mean - they have a "Staff", and in comparision - and for Rennlist alone - Jen and I are "it". The entire Member, Sponsor, Admin, hosting, troubleshooting “staff”...

Well - I'm late for work for one of two "paying jobs". Good news there is, they just promoted me - so I finally have benefits (like medical and dental) - which I haven't been able to afford for 8 years....

I look forward to reading your “$13.95 monthly options” when I get home later tonite after work….

John D.
Which prompts me to say John, I am a big shot. When you get the 13.95 hosting service, I will treat you to a few months, say two years at 13.95 on me
Old 04-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha-ha, I just noticed John simply has "Rennlist" in red under his name. Cute.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:46 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much drama for me.

Thread closed. Please play nice in the other thread.

Quick Reply: The thread from hell (Was: FS UNIQUE 85.5 944)