Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still ticking....and now buzzing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005 | 09:23 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Default Still ticking....and now buzzing!

Hello all!

I apparently forgot to offer a sacrifice to the Porsche gods!!!

Problem #1
I replaced two cam followers that were bad, Of course as I took the cam tower off I heard thunk..thunk..thunk as 4 of the cam followers fell out. Well I put in order the best I could and replaced the bad two. I reassembled eveything and it seems that either my injectors have become more noisy or the followers are not pumping up. It sounds fine at idle but as I rev the car it becomes more noticable. I've let the car idle for about 20 minutes and drove it a few miles.

Problem #2
I noticed that the belt cover was rubbing the crank ever so slightly which is one of my noises. The belt covers are in perfect shape and are bolted nice and tidy so what could be wrong now?

Problem #3
I am now getting a loud buzzing noise from 2K - 3K rpm. I can't seem to locate as it seems to be coming from the entire top of the engine. I will explore some more but I was hoping maybe someone might know what it could be.

Problem #4
I have lost another P/S adjustment rod!!! Where do these things go!!In two years I have broken two and lost two!! Next time, I think I will use locktite and maybe attach a safety chain!

I am seriously considering swapping my motor sooner rather than later because this motor hates me!
Old 04-02-2005 | 09:28 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

As far as the crank pulley rubbing the belt cover, you should definately check that ithe pully is tightened on well! Someone had one fall off recently.

You may be losing your p/s adjustment rod because you are forgetting to retighten the bolts that thold the piece on after you change the adjustment, just a guess.
Old 04-02-2005 | 09:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Make sure you did not put the cam tower gasket in upside down. That will starve the lifters of oil. You'd probably know by now if you did that. Also, make sure that you tensioned the belt tensioners in the proper direction. If memory serves, the TB is CC and the BS is clockwise--but look it up, I may be wrong. If you tension in the wrond direction, the BS tensioner can rub. As for #3, are you sure everything is bolt down tight, and that the BS belt is properly aligned?
Old 04-02-2005 | 10:10 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

OK, so I went out and took another look in regards to problem #3

The buzz seems to be coming from two places, one from behind the belt cover every once in a while. The other area is on top of the motor near the center. So tomorrow I'll check to see if maybe the one of the plastic vacuum tubes is touching the block. It definately sounds like plastic vibrating. Also, I guess I'll take the belt covers off and re- check the tensions to see if that helps.

Yieldsign-
3 of the adjustment rods were lost/ broken because of a mount problem that I had and didn't figure out until it was too late. The pump was moving back and forth on the mount. Tifo helped me out on some parts and all is fixed finally. This last one baffles me though. I always tighten that rod as tight as I can. Maybe it was loose who knows...I laughed so hard because I've spent over $100 bucks on these adjustment rods alone!

Problem #2 is what scares me, why would the crank rub the cover!

Quick Reply: Still ticking....and now buzzing!