Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 cyl 944??? what...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantviper
The guy was just trying to impress u. He had no idea what he was talking about.
I had one of those a couple weeks back trying to tell me about how Porsche had a turbo-4 in some models that was over 3l. I was politely trying to tell him they didn't... but he kept going on and on, "no... trust me, they made them." Since I really don't like it when people talk out of the wrong end, I cut the conversation short with "Bud, I work on Porsches... you really don't know what you're talking about. They had 2.5 turbos and 3.0 NAs, and there were only a handful of 3.0l turbos put out. None was larger than that, and the 3.0 turbos were limited production" ...he stopped talking.

EDIT: xsboost... now THAT is a classic story! I would pay to see something like that happen!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:52 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I wish I could get some of what that guy was doing. Sounds like a good trip.

Lou
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
dan_c
Advanced

I thought I remembered seeing a V engine onTV once or something that had a really acute angle..like just 20 deg. or less....ring a bell ?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe anything more than 0 degree is considered a V.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I could understand the confusion with the rotary engine, Have you ever opened one up??? I had one open before and it just doesnt look like it should work, visualy the rotor doesnt look like it will spin in the case. I think rotary engines are awsome, That guy wankle(SP) who invented it must have been really smart to just come up with that idea
Old 03-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to go on a field trip at school. On the bus people are always shooting the **** about cars and whatnot. Anyway, somone was describing a VW GTI as super fast because it kept up with a 944 turbo. As it is right now my dad has the only 951 in town.

The kid was like 'yah, the 944 was only running 2psi of boost and it kept up, those cars have big motors.'

He didn't know that my dad has a 951, so I was like,'......uhhhh...so the 944 was broken.'
Him-'No, that car is in perfect condition, they run 2psi stock.'
So I informed him that they run quite a bit more than 2psi, more like 11ish. He then got all pissy and asked my how I knew this crap. I told him my dad has a 944 turbo and I slave on it all the time. That kid no longer talks about car stuff, or to me.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:48 PM
ToxicSlick
Instructor

Anyone ever seen the video of the guy talking about his v6 mustang?

There is this guy bragging about how fast his mustang is, so these two guys with a camera are like, wow, nice car, its got a rotary right? And the guy says yeah it is.

Then they ask him if its got forged pistons in it, and he is like, yep, and its turbocharged. They just keep going like that forever, its almost painful to watch after a while.

Man I hate stupid people.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was atleast on production V4 engine, it came in the Saab Sonnet.
As to the narrow angle V engines, VW makes one, they call it the VR6. It is a V engine, but the angle of the V is so narrow that they only use one cylinder head for both banks.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast924S
I could understand the confusion with the rotary engine, Have you ever opened one up??? I had one open before and it just doesnt look like it should work, visualy the rotor doesnt look like it will spin in the case. I think rotary engines are awsome, That guy wankle(SP) who invented it must have been really smart to just come up with that idea
Wankel.

You should actually see one in motion. The motion the rotor takes on the eccentric shaft really makes it look like the engine should just fling itself apart. But then if you see the drawings of the stroke of the rotor, it makes sense, but still looks like it should just explode from excessive vibrations.

All in all though, it's really pretty amazing how simple the motor is, and the type of results you actually achieve from such simplicity. And it's always the Honda people that brag about Horsepower per liter, they have nothing on the rotary.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
Wankel.

You should actually see one in motion. The motion the rotor takes on the eccentric shaft really makes it look like the engine should just fling itself apart. But then if you see the drawings of the stroke of the rotor, it makes sense, but still looks like it should just explode from excessive vibrations.

All in all though, it's really pretty amazing how simple the motor is, and the type of results you actually achieve from such simplicity. And it's always the Honda people that brag about Horsepower per liter, they have nothing on the rotary.
Yeah, we have a "cut away" rotary motor in the formula shop. Its a teaching model, used to show how it operates. There's a clear plastic guard over the rotor, and there's a hand crank to turn it. Pretty cool.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by J Chen
I heard that there were a couple of V6 test mules.

That would have been very early on (1981 or so). I don't think Porsche ever actually produced a V6 and all testing was done with calculators.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
That would have been very early on (1981 or so). I don't think Porsche ever actually produced a V6 and all testing was done with calculators.
I swear I read in one of my books that Porsche had tried a V6 by cutting 2 cyl. off the 928 engine, but that it was 55 pounds heavier and too powerful. (maybe vs. the 911 of the day?) I can't seem to find the reference but when I do I'll let you guys know.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

I got one of the best porsche tall tales here on campus just a couple weeks ago.... A guy told me that he had been looking at a '92 944 turbo convertible automatic AND he almost forgot to tell me that it had the all wheel drive option. I about laughed myself to death as soon as he was out of earshot.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

was it in my article? (the one I posted)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=autoweek

"
The 2.5 was developed from Porsche’s 5.0-liter V-8, the engine that will appear this fall in the American edition of the 928. According to Hensler, Porsche engineers actually built two prototypes for the 944, including a 3.4-liter V-6 (the V-8 with two cylinders lopped off) and the 2.5- liter four (half of the V-B).

“Initially, the six-cylinder looked more promising,” Hensler said. “It ran more smoothly, but it was also too big compartment, too powerful for the type of car, too expensive to produce and 55 lbs. heavier.”

The four-cylinder was just right as far as size, power output and fuel economy were concerned, but it required the costly addition of two silencer shafts (a Ia Mitsubishi) to suppress the prominent secondary inertial forces inherent in the engine. These shafts run at twice the crankshaft speed and are said to help dye the big-bore four “the silkiness of a six-cylinder engine.”

The engine probably will be produced on the 928 tooling to help shave costs. The 944 engine shares with its V-8 brother open-deck design, cylinder-head layout, valve gear and some 50 other parts. Porsche thus saved development time and expenses, but sources in Weissach say production costs are still higher than anticipated.

“The 944 unit is not a cheap engine to build,” admitted Hensler. “But it is an engine which demonstrates our engineering potential. Even with the silencer shafts and all the electronics that went into this powerplant, the 944 engine is not even one pound heavier than the comparatively ordinary 924 unit.”
Old 04-01-2005, 02:06 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

Yes sir! That's the one, now I understand why I thought I read it in a book, it was in print but on the interweb, thanks again yeild! I love information. However, going through my books I did find this of interest: that a 924 turbo engine was developed with the balancer shafts and that it was a favorite of the Wessiach head of R&D, I guess if only they had made it reality...

Also did you know: "the 944 four valve engine, the 928S4, and the 959 all share the same valves, valve guides, valve angles, and even same combustion chamber; even the same steering parts." - source Porsche 924, 944, 968 by Michael Cotton

Quick Reply: 6 cyl 944??? what...