Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector caps broke inside head (crosspost)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 AM
109er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector caps broke inside head (crosspost)

(crossposted from 944/S2 tech forum)

A couple months back, I had a leaky injector seal and stopped by a friend's shop while in Daytona to have it replaced. We pulled the injectors, and two of the original yellow caps were cracked... he didn't have any yellow ones, but he had two green ones. The tips looked a bit different, but he said they should work.

Ok, no biggie, reassemble and off we go.

Yesterday, I found the #1 injector bubbling up around the base, so I wisely decided to pull it out and replace the seal (turns out it wasn't seated properly, but I digress)... when I pulled the injector rail with the injectors, the two green caps actually broke apart IN the head and now have their bits down atop their respective intake valves... the #4 might actually have gone INTO the cylinder, I can't tell because the light I have doesn't shine quite that far in there. I may be able to get the bits of #2 out using double-sided tape on a stick (forceps won't reach, and a flexible claw tool is too wide).

So, what's next? Do I need to have the f*^%*ng head pulled to get those plastic bits out if they went into #4? This is on an 87 944S, if it matters.

Thanks for any assistance, and remember- DON'T USE THE GREEN TIPS.

Lynn
Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Well if the cap fell in there while driving you shouldn't have any damage since it's plastic and it would have burned up. Maybe you can try a very clean shop vac to try and suck up the missing pieces. If the full cap is in the cylinder I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
109er
Racer

Hi Seb-

It wasn't while driving, the cap cracked apart while removing the injector from the head, and now it's in pieces down atop the intake valve itself. Tonight, I'm going to try and jury-rig a flexible tube attachment to a vacuum and see if that has any luck in extracting the pieces... can't hurt to try that.

Being as how they're plastic, your comment about them "burning up" in the cylinder is exactly what I'm wondering... would plastic bits cause interference with the valves, or would they essentially disintegrate in the combustion cycle?

Actually, if that jury-rigged tube thing works, maybe I can run it down the spark plug hole and see if I can get the bits out there. Lots of conjecture at this point... thanks for the suggestions, though.

Quick Reply: Injector caps broke inside head (crosspost)