Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did both my ball joints explode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Why did both my ball joints explode?

When I removed the passenger side control arm for sandblasting and to prepare for the Elephant Racing Monoballs I want to order, I noticed something pointy in the ball joint boot and the joint had a lot of slack and play.

Take it apart to find this...

And heres the drivers side, havent taken it apart just yet... Not that I need to

Both the "exploded" parts of the cups were aimed towards the back of the car. These were rebuilt in May 04, about 15k miles on them. They were both done with the Rennbay kit and IIRC Red Moly Grease. Could this have been caused by the Weltmeister sways? I havent hit any curbs, I make a definate point of avoiding potholes and such and havent tracked the car. The front of the car is at stock ride height (as far as I know), and tire wear seems fine so far (no uneven wearing). Camber isnt overly aggresive I dont think but I can check the printout.

Im not overly mad, I was debating going with the Rennbay bronze kit, but id still like to know why these failed. The ones before these simply wore through and broke into a few chunks, they didnt do this.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They diddnt. That is just the retainer spring used to hold on the boot .No worries....Time for a rennbay kit....

EDIT....Is that the cup in the top picture?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944_S_TYPE
They diddnt. That is just the retainer spring used to hold on the boot .No worries....Time for a rennbay kit....

EDIT....Is that the cup in the top picture?
Yes thats the plastic cup
Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Bummer. Send travis a note He should be able to help.....
Old 03-27-2005, 03:49 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pockets were probably too worn out when you did the rebuild. Consequently the cups pulled up through the holes and shredded.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AznDrgn
The pockets were probably too worn out when you did the rebuild. Consequently the cups pulled up through the holes and shredded.
Thats what im worried about...
Old 03-27-2005, 04:26 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advice would be to ask travis, the track kit he has with the upper bronze bearings are supposed to be able to handle a little bit of wear but I have no idea how much you have.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AznDrgn
Best advice would be to ask travis, the track kit he has with the upper bronze bearings are supposed to be able to handle a little bit of wear but I have no idea how much you have.
Yeah ive already emailed him. One end of the circlip broke off so I have yet to get it apart (Murpheys Law again)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent you a reply but I am not sure if you got it yet.
The problem is that your pockets were a little out of round when the kit was installed. Those were the OEM style bushings that came in the base and deluxe kits. The glass filled bushings that are supplied (now included in all kits) will hold up much better if the pocket is slightly worn. They will not extrude if there is a little pocket wear.
If you want replacements in the glass filled polymer just let me know and I will send some out. Also, you do have the option of upgrading to the solid aluminum bronze uppers. In the email I sent you a price for them.
Let me know and I will get what you need out to you first thing tomorrow morning including any peripherals that you need to reinstall them.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Aluminum bronze? Is that a new alloy?

Quick Reply: Why did both my ball joints explode?