Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical troubleshooting suggestions/help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005 | 01:55 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Electrical troubleshooting suggestions/help

Well I'm working on the 85/1 guards red project, and got the relay/fuse box replaced, and several wires that were cooked, by either replacing or repairing. (see this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...13#post1990913 ).

Hardly anything in the car worked when I started (other than I did get it started and running), blower switch fried, headlight switch was patched into and a total mess so headlights didn't cycle, mirrors no go, wipers no go, rear hatch release no go, sunroof motor no go, several vampire connectors hanging all over, tachometer didn't work after removing a patch around wire that was on it, and on and on.

Now everything seems to work alright except the wipers will not work in the intermittant mode (but will on the other settings). I tried swapping relay out with another one, and still no go (I'm pretty sure the relay isn't the problem). I'm thinking maybe a bad contactor in the stalk? (haven't looked for that yet).

The other thing is the tachometer. It does not work at all. I removed the patch as I said above, and nothing is jumping out at me as to an obvious reason why it won't work now. I not sure where to start with this one. Dme connector has been played with on this car, and I thought maybe pin 1 (green wire) going into it was the cause do to a window splice being there and loose, but it didn't turn out to be the culprit. Any thoughts and/or ideas where to go from here?

I've got the full wiring diagrams. I probably just need to study it a WHOLE lot more? ( I'm still trying to get these straight in my head).

I also have an O2 sensor wire that needs to be spliced. The white connector is broken off). Its the green wire coming out of the engine harness to the white plastic connector fastened on the firewall. I know its a shielded wire. I was planning on splicing the inner wire with a solder joint, use the liquid insulation on it, and take the outer shielding and try to wrap that around the insulated spice and just heatshrink tubing that, as it overlaps itself. I would try to keep the center wire length as close to the original length as I can. Any thoughts or comments about me trying this? Any other suggestions or ideas?

I have the dashboard out, cleaned all the ground points on the car, and welcome any comments.

TIA for any thoughts and advise!

Update edit: Tach works,and intermittant works on wipers now. I just needed to spend a little more time looking. It turned out that the small green wire in pin 1 of the 9 pin connector at the firewall in the engine bay was broken, so larger wire was feeding coil ok, but no feedback to tach. Wipers turned out to be just the contactors on the stalk. Cleaned, greased, ok now. Now on to spliciing the O2 feed wire.

Last edited by Granite 944; 03-27-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical troubleshooting suggestions/help