Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower balance shaft - Grrrr!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:16 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower balance shaft - Grrrr!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi,

I'm continuing with my front end reseal and all was going well until I put the lower balance shaft sprocket on and torque the nut up, and then I cannot turn the balance shaft by hand. I can turn it using the ratchet, but it is pretty stiff for about 1/3 of a turn and then gets easier for 2/3 of a turn and then gets hard again. It turns OK before I fully torque the nut up. I've taken it off and put it back on three or four times, trying the sprocket both ways on. The top shaft is torqued up and and turns easily by hand. What it going on!?! What have I screwed up!?! - Grrrr!!!

Thanks for any help

ps I got my woodruff key off on my crank shaft pretty easy in the end with the wire cutters, so thanks to all that advised on that holdup!

EDIT - SEE POST #4 FOR SOLUTION!

Last edited by a.n.other; 03-26-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:20 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

You said you tried it both ways, with one side to the engine, then the other? I was going to say it's probably on backwards (it happened to me up top), but I guess that rules that out. GL.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:14 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

Yes, I tried it with the lip of the BS sprocket towards the engine (the correct way I think), and the lip towards the front of the engine, and then the other way again. Something must be rubbing somewhere, but the timing belt cover doesn't seem to be the culprit. And I've tried to hammer the new balance shaft seal in a bit further (it is 1-2mm recessed which seemed similar to the upper one, and didn't hammer in any further). I don't seem to have forgotten anything according to the PET diagram.

And my car is still at my friend's house - it is starting to take the pi$$ now, but at least they are a pretty understanding couple. I was tempted to do without my balance shafts just to get me home, so I could have a go at in on the roadside tomorrow untill I saw all the other bit of the car that needed fitting, so I opted for a lift home and try again tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:39 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

Problem solved- I tried swapping the upper and lower BS sprockets over - still no good, then tried hitting the troublesome lower BS sprocket with a hammer after it was torqued up and not spinning. And the hammer worked!! I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not hitting it earlier - everyone knows that's lesson #1 in mechanics 101, and if that doesn't work then you try a bigger hammer!!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:42 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i, for one, am not surprised the balance shaft is difficult to turn by hand. it was difficult during my engine rebuild as well, but the balance shafts work fine. don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Lower balance shaft - Grrrr!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED