Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*DISTRESS SIGNAL* FRONT SUSPENSION *update and pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005 | 03:05 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Wow.
Old 03-29-2005 | 03:08 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Good job on the alignment. BTW toe can and will wear tires. Too much negative toe, and the "weight" rides to the inside of the contact patch.
Old 03-29-2005 | 03:47 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

how bout caster?.. the guy said he couldnt fix the caster for some reason.. should i be worrying too much? Tomorrow ill have time to take it for a nice drive to see the difference.. i coudlnt today..
New tires are falken 451s.. anyone have experience with them?
one more thing.. ever since the alignment, when my hand brake is up.. the ! doesnt light up and it doesnt tell me that the e brake is up.. is there a connection that the guy might have taken off?
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:26 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Connection. There is a simple switch under the parking brake's arm. The wires can fall of just breathing on them.

Looks like he fixed the castor on the front. Are you refering to the rears?
Old 03-30-2005 | 12:17 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Caster is not an adjustable angle on the rear, unless you have four wheel steering. Your caster angle is a mesurement of the relation of the upper rotational point (strut mount) to the lower rotational point (ball joint). It will not affect the tire wear (too much) and will determine how the steering returns to center.
Old 03-30-2005 | 12:23 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Just re-reviewed your alignment print. The caster has not been corrected, but, it appears that the "cross caster" or difference in caster angles from side to side is not too bad. You have a positive .2 degree of cross caster. That is really pretty good. What is important about the cross caster and cross camber numbers is that they will affect how the car handles. A cross camber or cross caster number, positive or negative, close or above 1 degree will cause the vehicle to pull to side that has the higher number. Example Right Caster -1.4 degree Left Caster -.4, and the car will pull to the right as the right has a higher caster number. Cross camber will have a similar affect, probably not as noticable as a caster imbalance.
Old 03-30-2005 | 02:51 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

sweet.. thanx kevin

after a day of driving the car.. wow.. big difference!! much smoother ride.. thanx to the new tires.. steering wheel is aligned.. when i hit a bump i dont go flying sideways anymore.. so good news all around..
ill see if any bugs come up tomorrow..
Old 03-30-2005 | 04:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

So how does the car feel now?

How could he not align caster? It's on the eccentric bolt on the rear A-arm pivot... Uneven caster angles between the left & right sides can cause a car to pull, thus requiring a compensating turn on the wheel, causing uneven toe on both tyres as you're driving down the road. The car will go in a straight line, but you have to hold the steering to one side and the front tyres will wear on the inside of one and outside of the other. Get that caster adjusted so they are within 0.25-degree of each other.

Quick Reply: *DISTRESS SIGNAL* FRONT SUSPENSION *update and pics*