Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005 | 05:01 AM
dstt
Advanced

Default What's with this?

I finally got my '84 home, with the '85.5 engine installed from the '83 that was rear-ended and totalled. This was actually the first time that I have driven the '84 at night, the engine took a dump right after I had driven it home in the daylight. Anyway, I turned off the ignition(I thought), took out the key, and the motor was still running. I re-inserted the key, fiddled with it, assumed I had a worn switch, turned off the lights and figured I had to short the coil or something to shut it down- never had or thought of this situation before- and then when I turned the key to remove it, the motor shut off.

About 30 minutes later, I moved the car into the driveway from the street, and again turning the key would not shut it off. Remembering the previous sequence of events, I reached over and turned off the headlights. Bingo. The car shut down. Did some more testing- the bottom line is that the car will not turn off unless the headlights are turned off first.

My first thought is that someone drew juice for the ignition switch from the headlight switch, but I'm not sure how that could be done and allow the car to start and run without the lights on, which it does. I can't see anyone engineering this to avoid leaving the headlights on, you've got pop-up lights for a clue, for cryin' out loud. This is the fourth 944 or 924 I've owned, and none has this feature. Has anyone heard of anything like this, or have any idea what's going on here? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:01 AM
tkacki
Instructor

This is impossible with stock/original wiring - no failure will cause such effect. Sounds like electical cicuit has been modified and voltage on headlights (or cockipt light) causes DME/ignition relay to sustain in "on" state giving voltage to DME and allow engine to run. What about the other circuits after removal of the key (radio, washers, horn, fans,...) ?
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:40 AM
dstt
Advanced

Not sure regarding other circuits- I'm at work and cannot check. Given this scenario w/DME involvement, with the headlights and ignition off, would there be any current drain?

Quick Reply: What's with this?