Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good price for used fender?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one I have is also red.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
85Nine4Four
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O sorry, Im in Connecticut if you have a fender for me

and know of a good guide w/ pictures?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aribop
*The fender is attached with adhesive to the body of the car along the top edge (you will have to cut that from the inside with a box cutter to break the fender loose without damaging anything)
Heat the top of it (where the bolts were) with a heat gun a few inches at a time, and stick putty knives in between as you go. Lot easier that way, and less chance of bending it!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S., I would only pay $200 for a fender that has zero dings or rust on it. You shouldn't have to mess with filler or rust stripping at that price. I'd be hesitant to think that a fender could be shipped at all without damaging it unless it is boxed up and packed with foam, etc. One ding and you may as well have pulled one from a bone yard. As for color matching, I'd look for one in my color and still plan on respraying; good not to have a fender that will show bright red when you get a stone chip!

That said, I have a spare mint condition pass. side fender that I will use (eventually) to replace the one on my 85.5 because it has some filler in it. My replacement fender is ruby red metallic (rubinrot?), though, so I will be carefully wet sanding it down to the PRIMER, but not to the metal - don't sand off the galvanizing protection!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
........... so I will be carefully wet sanding it down to the PRIMER, but not to the metal - don't sand off the galvanizing protection!
Thats kinda my line of thinking........Amen!
Not sure about the wet sanding part, but i surely wouldn't want to go thru the galvanizing. But then again, I'm sure no bodyman expert either.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:04 PM
85Nine4Four
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
P.S., I would only pay $200 for a fender that has zero dings or rust on it. You shouldn't have to mess with filler or rust stripping at that price. I'd be hesitant to think that a fender could be shipped at all without damaging it unless it is boxed up and packed with foam, etc. One ding and you may as well have pulled one from a bone yard. As for color matching, I'd look for one in my color and still plan on respraying;
My thinking is because i am an 18 year old on a budget with college to think about. I want the car to look the best it can for the least amout of money. I figure that having a color thats close will be much cheaper than a cheaper one plus the respray.

Quick Reply: Good price for used fender?