Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any updates on fixed headlight conversions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:29 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates on fixed headlight conversions??

I was driving today and saw a second generation RX-7 with a fixed headlight conversion on it and it got me thinking about how sweet our cars would look with one. I know there are some people who have been working on them, but are they any updates, final prototypes or actual kits available??
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gt racing i think had the fixed headlight kits. Thing about that i think was people tryn to find lights that works best with that setup. Maybe Dan (iceshark) could work on that he already has an awsome light kit for our pop ups.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boricua944
Gt racing i think had the fixed headlight kits. Thing about that i think was people tryn to find lights that works best with that setup. Maybe Dan (iceshark) could work on that he already has an awsome light kit for our pop ups.
The biggest problem with the GT Racing kit is that it's 1) not complete (requires a lot of work to get it installed) and 2) Even well done, doesn't provide enough light output.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:20 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Even well done, doesn't provide enough light output.
That's incorrect. Well done with HID's it provides pleanty of light. Right now, I'm trying to mount some Hella 90mm's in mine. But I may not have the car much longer so who knows, depends on what happens when it's back together. As for the headlight buckets...

Originally Posted by rage2
There is one change to the GT kit... you can buy everything from them now with headlights and brackets. When I got 'em 3 years ago, all I got was the bucket and the clear cover. The buckets were horrible in quality, the clear cover didn't even fit over one of the buckets, and they had to send me a replacement clear cover. On my car, I'm using the VW headlights. With proper alignment, it's not as good as the stock setup, but it's close. I have the euro driving light foglights to compensate.

Not recommended, coming from someone who's done it.
Originally Posted by MPD47
I'd have to agree. However, the other GT Products I've bought I have been pleased with. I was surprised how the quality was different between the front end pieces and the headlight stuff I bought. I've currently got some halogen's zip tied on some pieces of black wood and plastic in there (yes I said zip tied with wood and plastic). That is until I get the Hella 90mm lights mounted up. I wouldn't recommend it unless you need it, or aren't terribly concerned with looks.
Originally Posted by dmoffitt
rage is right, the fitment on them is crap. i'm now on my 3rd set of covers, no real good way to attach them
I've got my lexan covers attached with black zipties.

They do look alot better than popups though, if only someone could make a decent kit.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

I saw a gorgeous MR2 just yesterday with a nice projector-lamp conversion. The body kit was tasteful too...it almost looked like a Can-Am or GT car. The headlight lens had a slight bulge in it, which looked really nice.

I kind of thought the same thing in passing...I wonder how the 944 would look with a similar setup?

Though it's MUCH cheaper and much easier to do an "off-road" 7" H4 swap (about 25-40 bucks), and it just about quadruples the stock light output. Mine should be here Monday.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:46 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
But I may not have the car much longer so who knows, depends on what happens when it's back together.
What've you got up your sleeve?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

This is the project that never happens. Where is that picture of the Old West ghost town with tumble weeds blowing through it when you need it.

The problem is cost and having the lights work so you can see. The Hella 90mm HIDs would be great. Just get ready to plunk out over a grand in cash for all the parts. Then the install work comes. And better get plenty of extra lexan covers because on the front end of the car they are what is known as "consumables". Maybe not quite as quick as oil, but you will need to replace them every so often if you want to keep the benefit of the arc lights.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:46 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How about some 2" projectors stuffed under the existing covers and activated by an electric solenoid on each side?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:36 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Damn... I was really hoping someone would have something out by now... This was brought up right after I joined almost a year ago and I was just curious if any progress has been made in the year. I also do not know how much longer I will have my car. Probably another 6 months to a year, but the quest for a modern roadster has already begun

Quick Reply: Any updates on fixed headlight conversions??