Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...Spark plug shot out of engine!! (Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very risky driving car with an open spark plug hole. Fire hazard from fuel mixture vapors. You should have made sure the spark plug wire was insulated (wrap open end with electrical tape) so it couldn't arc to ground and ignite the vapors. My friend had an engine fire due to this exact thing in a VW bug many years ago.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how your case is.. but Perhaps teh threads are just loose maybe it just turned out from vibration and pressure. Perhaps a new one with a little loctite or something? Not sure if loctite is ok?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by dmanderson
Dan,
This just occurred to me 2 weeks ago with my 16 valve Jetta. I was able to gingerly thread the plug back in. There was some damage to the top of the threads but it went in. I was unable to get it in all the way, but I was able to drive the 40 miles home. At home, with the engine still warm, the plug went in the rest of the way. The next day I pulled it out to look at it and it came out well. My friend, a VW tech, said the absolute best way to go is to do nothing. I was asking about alternatives, and he said they all can result in problems and if the dealer has to guarantee the work, they replace the head. I put a little antisieze compound on the threads and was actually able to thread it 3/4 of the way in with just my fingers. I do not know if you have tried threading it in, but doing so gingerly should not cause any additional damage. It sure beats pulling the head. Good luck.
Don't think this would work for me because the threads were already stripped and I couldn't get the spark plug in tight.

Stan- How did yours happen? Ws your head stripped?

JDeitz951- I removed the whole wire from the dist cap before starting home.

yieldsign2 - thought about loctite too but don't know if it would be good... Anybody? Wish there was a liquid aluminum or something that you could pu t on the threads of the plug and insert that would harden and form new threads. Oh well...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Spoke to local Porsche mechanic. Said he can helicoil it for 75 to 100 dollars. Said he can do it with the head still in the car. Guy has great reputation and does good work.Tow to shop around 150 from towing company he recommends.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by Brett944Cab2
The plug holes on my S2 are down *deep*. If I remember on a Timesert, there's an adapter that you drive the insert with. If that's not 4+" long, I'm not sure how you would get to the plug threads, much less see what you were doing down in the deep, dark hole.
4"..? Still don't see the problem with Timeserts....( the tool for Helicoils are even bigger/wider/harder to fit far down a spark plug hole)...as the tap is guided by the old threads,you cannot go wrong (read:at an angle)...and I've put Timeserts down a 6" "dark hole"...but then again I have a couple long extenders available,and I know when to back it all out,lift the tap out of the hole using a telescopic magnet, and avoid the troubles with chips in the cylinders...just like the guy with the Heilcoils in mention,I guess.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Skunkworkz and I are on the same wavelength here, you don't HAVE to remove the head, only if you just insist on doing so. Put the grease on the tap and I'd about bet that you have only buggered the top threads and a chase with the tap will solve the problem. Grease on the channels of the tap will catch any loose chips. You can also put a greasy patch of cloth down the hole to help catch any chips. You don't have to remove the head, unless you just like wrenching or paying hans und fritz.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do, get an experienced mechanic to do it for you. This isn't something for learners. Hiring a pro will save you money.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Just found out the my roadside assistance will cover the $150.00 towing fee. Free for me (I love Geico). When all said and dine this whole fiasco can cost between 75-100 dollars. That's cheap in my book.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

I sold a spark plug hole rethreader kit today. i work at napa. the part number escapes my mind right now, but it's made by balkamp. It's called save a thread or somethign along those lines.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:45 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
I sold a spark plug hole rethreader kit today. i work at napa. the part number escapes my mind right now, but it's made by balkamp. It's called save a thread or somethign along those lines.
How does it work?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:08 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jeeper31

JDeitz951- I removed the whole wire from the dist cap before starting home.

Smart. Once again, please ignore previous post. Carry on!

Old 03-17-2005, 10:50 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default Resolution

Had the car towed in to the shop to the tune of $75.00, not the $150.00 i was originally quoted. $100.00 labor to install the insert and 25.00 for a new wire. He ran me through the process down to the grease to catch the filings. Place called PSH - Porsche Spoken Here did the work and they are great there. Very knowledgable and willing to help. Feel like a got away lucky. Now to get the hood fixed!!!

Quick Reply: HELP...Spark plug shot out of engine!! (Resolution)