Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the fan relay fail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:58 AM
patrick-87-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working the same problem (no fans). Tomc told me that Clark's has a good test write up....i will be starting that tonight.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 AM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

An update on my investigation: I start my car up for the first time of the day; ambient temperature 80 degrees F. No fans running, coolant temperature gauge reads 'cold' at the bottom onf the gauge range.

I activate the "recirculate air" switch (button) and turn the interior ventilation fan "on" to speed "2".
No fans running and A/C has not been turned on.

I drive 5 miles, coolant gauge reads 'just above the first white line' (about 27% of gauge range) and the 'high speed fan' activates (comes on) and begins it cycle of 10 seconds 'on' - 5 seaconds 'off' and continues for the next several miles until I park and turn the car off.

Upon returning to the car 2 hours later, the coolant gauge now reads just above the bottom of its range and at 'start up' the high speed cycling commences, again with out the A/C being engaged.

I will clean the resistors contacts and the thermo switch contacts tomorrow (as described in other threads) and see if this cures the problem.

Any thoughts are welcome in solving this; I sense a new thermo switch may be on the horizon,
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

An update, problem still not solved; advice appreciated!

After seaching and reading several threads here, I have performed the following:

1/ 0.9 ohm resistors terminals have been cleaned and wiring checked (cut back with new terminals installed by PO)

2/ Followed the "Clarks Garage" procedure and tested the 'cooling fan relay' results: 10 sec. high speed running followed by 5 sec. low speed; with this 'cycling' repeated continuously.

3/ Deduced that the 'cooling fan relay' is failing and purchase replacement from a Rennlist sponsor; install the replacement and no repair: fans continue the 'cycling' high 10 sec, low speed 5 sec.

4/ Read PO invoices and see that this problem was addressed in May 2004, with corrective actions taken: a/ resistors wiring 'cut back' and terminals renewed and b/ thermo fan switch replaced; no apparent remedy of problem at that time though.

frustration is beginning to mount-any and all ideas welcome; back to the thread archives.

Quick Reply: How does the fan relay fail?