Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Guys. Just bought my first Porsche. Just wanted to say howdy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
Congrats and welcome. The car looks great. It looks like Kalahari Beige maybe?
My thought too, the shadows look to be casting it more silvery..

Welcome to Rennlist! Nice find!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:43 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing Zermatt Silver?

Good luck, and the real German way is Porsh-eh, not Porsh-ah! Where is Christian when you need him!?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 AM
codepoet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome, and nice car
Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car! Welcome to Rennlist & Porsche ownership!

Be sure to join your local PCA (Porsche Club). And look into autocross and DE (Driver's Education Program.)

BTW: DE isn't your high school driver's ed - it's high speed performance driving on closed circuit race tracks! Most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

-Z.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It looks almost like the platinum/champagne metallic offered on 911SCs (damn near my fav p-car color ever for that era)

Wheels look beyond awesome on that car...reminds me of Petes old white n/a...sweet!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Jerad
Pro

Definately not Zermatt, this car is much darker than that. I'm 99% sure it is Kalahari Beige.

I agree about the color matched Fuchs, they look awesome.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:04 PM
technicolor
Advanced

The paint code is LA1Y. After a quick search, it seems to be Kalahari Beige like a few have said. Just thought I'd clear that up (c:

I'm already pricing paint to put a fresh coat on it.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
cwjohnson
AutoX

I think your car's color is "Platin" which is German for Platinum.I had one for
8 years,and from what I can tell it is the same.
Welcome to the club.
Charles
P.S. Do yourself a favor and buy a ROUND throttle cam. You will think you have gained

20 hp.,but of course all you have done is put the European one on.Makes the engine respond to
your mind/foot quicker. Only costs $30 or so.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Great looking car, and color-matched Fuchs too!

Makes the engine respond to
your mind/foot quicker. Only costs $30 or so.
There's write-ups out there on how to convert the normal one to the circle one pretty easily too.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:18 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Welcome to the 'list, very nice color!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 PM
my84-944
Racer

Nice Porsche, and in my opinion you stole it for that price. Do check with the warranty company, as many if not most/all aftermarket (and factory warranty for that matter) DO NOT cover parts designed to destroy themselves. This would be Clutches, brake pads, BELTS, and tires, etc... So you belts are more than likely not covered and so the big time damage $$$ from a snapped belt would not be covered either.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this sig line, "It's an interfereance engine, what could go wrong?" Don't let the belts teach you a painful lesson.

Good looking car at a hell'uva price, now get your self a membership.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

That is a particularly attractive car, especially with those Fuchs, which are a significant plus. It looks like you found a very good deal.

Do not let mileage alone influence belt decisions, rubber does degrade over time. Just to give you an idea of how nervous I was with mine when I bought it (it was 40K since the last belt change): I drove it directly to my house and then parked it and started tearing it down. Needless to say, the belts and chain tensioner (an S-specific part) looked OK, but too many others have been bitten by these items just after purchase. I would put off any other expenditures on the car until they are done and, if possible, I would not drive it in the meantime.

Also, the paint may be original and as such, I would first try every technique (clay bar, polishes, zaino etc.) to work with what you have before re-painting. You may be amazed by how great the paint can still look (and judging from the pics, it already is good).

Congratulations and welcome to Porsche and the list!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by amjf088
That is a particularly attractive car, especially with those Fuchs, which are a significant plus. It looks like you found a very good deal.

Do not let mileage alone influence belt decisions, rubber does degrade over time. Just to give you an idea of how nervous I was with mine when I bought it (it was 40K since the last belt change): I drove it directly to my house and then parked it and started tearing it down. Needless to say, the belts and chain tensioner (an S-specific part) looked OK, but too many others have been bitten by these items just after purchase. I would put off any other expenditures on the car until they are done and, if possible, I would not drive it in the meantime.

Also, the paint may be original and as such, I would first try every technique (clay bar, polishes, zaino etc.) to work with what you have before re-painting. You may be amazed by how great the paint can still look (and judging from the pics, it already is good).

I agree with everything Allan says... Don't Paint it, a few blems is more desireable than a repaint (unless your going to do a $10k paint job), to most, when you go to sell it...

Forget the tires or any other cosmetic fix/upgrade unless you can do the belt at the same time. You should not drive it until you do so you don't need the tires first. You may get lucky and not have it come apart, but if you cannot afford a belt now, and you do break it, then your really gonna be short the $$$

Luv the Fuchs!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:49 PM
technicolor
Advanced

Originally Posted by amjf088

I really do intend on replacing the belts as soon as possible. If I had another vehicle to drive so I can park the car I would, but I had to sell my truck to buy it. I'm just going to be living on the edge for the next three or four weeks. Luckily, I only have to drive about 6 miles a day normally.

As for painting, it really does need a new paint job. The paint on the hood is cracking and faded and there are several small dents that need attention. All is not lost though, as my dad paints custom cars and motorcycles (AirbrushGuy.com <- Shameless plug!), so I can get it done at cost (about $250 for the paint/clear). It will look killer then.

Quick Reply: Hey Guys. Just bought my first Porsche. Just wanted to say howdy!