Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 951 vs. newer models

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 04:00 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 86 951 vs. newer models

I am going to get rid of my '86 NA 944 and want to get a 951 for track purposes. Is there any advantage of the '86 951s vs. newer models? It seems like one disadvantage is the early style wheel offset (which I assume means fewer substitutes), and I didn't know whether there were any other advantages/disadvantages of the earlier turbos. I expect the car would be heavily modified, so I don't know that the premium normally associated with an "S" or an '89 would be justified.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Please spare the flames, but I would probably prefer to get a shell (or close to it) and do a V8 conversion.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well if you are building a race car then the 87 and later suspension parts are little stronger. These parts can be replaced without too much effort.

For a street car the differences between 86 and other years are small enough to make them irrelvant. Car condition is a much bigger factors.

Note... my first statement is for RACE cars. Not track cars. Most of the time track cars are not pushed anywhere near as hard a race car.

If you really doing a V8 conversion then you can get a shell of even a 944 NA and get parts here and there. It all depends on price and what you trully need to or intent to replace.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:55 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

If it is going to be a dedicated track which will be modified, you are correct to avoid the S or 89 models. One advantage of the 1986 cars is so many were imported that they out number all other years combinded. You'll probably have better luck finding one in good condition and at a better price than a later car. Also, the 86s are a fair bit lighter as they don't have airbags, ABS, etc.

The biggest advantage to the later cars is the suspension allows a greater choice of wheels. This is easily corrected on the 86 cars with spacers (from what I've read, spacers hold up just fine for DEs. I don't know about racing with them, though).

If you want to go the route of the V8 conversion, you are better off with the NA shell and buying a 951 tranny.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're doing a V8 conversion, get an early 944 N/A. They're the cheepest for one, and they would also take to the conversion better (i.e. cheeper manual steering).

If you're going with a turbo, the '86 is the year to get IMHO. The early offset wheels is actually a BONUS because you actually have MORE wheels to choose from. There's some really hot early style wheels (Fuchs), and you can use late style wheels with adapters (not available vice versa).

The early style suspension is a LITTLE weaker...but you'll never notice the difference unless you get into door-to-door racing as M758 does. The early style suspension is somewhat better for a street car however as parts are typically substantially cheeper (just price out ball joints & you'll see what I mean).

Also 86/85.5 is somewhat an advantage in that it has an earlier chassis with the late dash/interior which most people prefer. If I were doing a stripped v8 conversion I would actually prefer an early interior, but that's just me.

The only things you loose engine wise between an 86 and later model turbos is early model's don't have the auto tensioner for the timing belt (but it's debatable as to if the late model is even any better). Also you loose the oil level sensor, and the vaccum lines are done a little better on later models (easy conversion). There's also the obvious difference of the larger turbo on the 88S & 89 models.

Quick Reply: 86 951 vs. newer models