Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting engine bay ( Update: I have a favor to ask of an NA owner)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good idea, but mine's going to have a nice hot spinny thing right near there, so the temp. numbers will be a lot hotter.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:28 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well this will give us a rough idea of what temps are going to be in that area and then from there you can add insulation and heat reflective materials to compensate for your turbo. Basically if it's going to be too hot for an NA there is no way in hell it'll work for a turbo.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

True that. I'd love to know if it'll work. I think it'd LOOK good and be a good idea if not for the whole heat-induced failure problem. Not that the stock rubber junk on the firewall did much better (although it did last a while before it dried out / cracked).
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the temp. I can not say for sure, but I know there was a huge post regarding cold air intakes where a few posted temp readings of their na and turbo cars. You may try checking there.
I have some experience with the bed liner stuff, being a Sales manager with Dodge and chevy before that. My suggestion is to check with a local shop that puts it in. The rep once told me that they put the stuff everywhere, trailers, fenderwells, floorboards and even as outside body molding. These are the people who work with the stuff everyday and so they would have a better Idea. According to the website ( www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/faq/ ) Rhino Linings works and looks great in temperatures between -40 degrees F and 175 degrees F.
There is also a brand out there called Line-X ( www.line-x.com ) and they say:
LINE-X is rated for use in temperatures from subzero to 250 F. You can find LINE-X trucks in the performing to specs in the cold of Alaska to the heat of Arizona. If you have a higher temperature requirement (up to 350F), we have a commercial grade product that may be a good option for you.
I would go with Line-X unless the temps come back over 200 then maybe not.
Hope this helps guys.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by my84-944
As for the temp. I can not say for sure, but I know there was a huge post regarding cold air intakes where a few posted temp readings of their na and turbo cars. You may try checking there.
I have some experience with the bed liner stuff, being a Sales manager with Dodge and chevy before that. My suggestion is to check with a local shop that puts it in. The rep once told me that they put the stuff everywhere, trailers, fenderwells, floorboards and even as outside body molding. These are the people who work with the stuff everyday and so they would have a better Idea. According to the website ( www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/faq/ ) Rhino Linings works and looks great in temperatures between -40 degrees F and 175 degrees F.
There is also a brand out there called Line-X ( www.line-x.com ) and they say:
LINE-X is rated for use in temperatures from subzero to 250 F. You can find LINE-X trucks in the performing to specs in the cold of Alaska to the heat of Arizona. If you have a higher temperature requirement (up to 350F), we have a commercial grade product that may be a good option for you.
I would go with Line-X unless the temps come back over 200 then maybe not.
Hope this helps guys.

Part of my beef with using Line-X is that you have to take it to their shop and have they spray it in which would mean I would have to take apart all the stuff in the engine bay/front end and on top of that it's pretty expensive. I have no trailer and my car has no motor right now so I was planning on using one of those DIY liners like Durabak or one of the Bondo brands. When you refer to "we" who exactly are you refering to? What's the name of the product? Costs?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:36 PM
my84-944
Racer

Originally Posted by AznDrgn
Part of my beef with using Line-X is that you have to take it to their shop and have they spray it in which would mean I would have to take apart all the stuff in the engine bay/front end and on top of that it's pretty expensive. I have no trailer and my car has no motor right now so I was planning on using one of those DIY liners like Durabak or one of the Bondo brands. When you refer to "we" who exactly are you refering to? What's the name of the product? Costs?
I am re posting this information with quotes from the websites I already posted:
According to the website ( www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/faq/ ) they say: "Rhino Linings works and looks great in temperatures between -40 degrees F and 175 degrees F."
There is also a brand out there called Line-X and according to their website ( www.line-x.com ) and they say:
"LINE-X is rated for use in temperatures from subzero to 250 F. You can find LINE-X trucks in the performing to specs in the cold of Alaska to the heat of Arizona. If you have a higher temperature requirement (up to 350F), we have a commercial grade product that may be a good option for you."

Please note:
1. The website addresses (so you can check it out yourself)
2. The new quote marks (indicating the quote is from the website) so "we" means them or in this case Line-X. NOT ME, THEM.
3. The higher temp line-x in considered Commercial grade, so you may not (and probably won't) be able to just buy it and DIY.
4. Both of these have a warranty. This means if they spray it and it breaks or comes off, or maybe "melts" they fix it not you.
DIY is great, but things like painting and potential fire hazzards may better be left to a pro.
BTW Line X can be sprayed in colors other than black.
NO I DO NOT WORK FOR RHINO OR LINE-X. Just trying to help you guys out with some info.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:18 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

OK so I know what the temps that these paints can handle, now i just need someone to run and let me know the temp on the passenger side frame rail. Please can someone do this for me?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Someone's got to have one of those little infrared temperature reader thingys but unfortunately I do not, nor do I even have a thermometer of any sort that will go as high as might be required.

Since heat typically rises and these engines tend to have pretty decent cooling air flow for one, good dissipation properties for another, and good heat shielding for yet another, I'd be really suprised if the temps got hotter than about +250 F by the firewall.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

I really don't care what is used to measure the temperature, I was just hoping readings from 2 or 3 cars so I could get a ball park figure. I'm pretty sure the paint will handle it and if it's even close to the limit I can add some extra heat shielding in that area to help keep the temperatures down.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
adie
Pro

Just out of interest, why not use the heat shielding to line the car, the stuff on my racer is like a fiberglass matt on one side and a silver foil on the other, it has been there for 3 years and still is clean, it's pressurewashed after every race meet and hasn't fallen to bits......yet, and most important it's cheap!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

I plan on adding in some sort of heat shielding on the passenger side as well as the paint but I still need to make sure that the temps under the shielding isn't going to get too high as to melt it.

Quick Reply: Painting engine bay ( Update: I have a favor to ask of an NA owner)