Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearings; still too loose after adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front wheel bearings; still too loose after adjustment?

i have adjusted my front wheel bearings a few times using the recommended procedure, where the washer just slips. As I understand the method, i should just barely be able to get lateral movement by pushing it sideways with a screwdriver; without bracing on the hub.

following that procedure; the wheels still had nearly 1cm of side to side wobble while in the air. I find that wholly unacceptable. i have since adjusted them rather much tighter (~1/8 turn of the pinch nut past adjustment) and have eliminated most, but not all, of the play.

Is it time for new bearings, or do i misunderstand the adjusting procedure?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not worry too much about another 1/8 turn. The procedure is kind of subjective at best. If the wheel still turns easily you should be fine.

How many miles on the bearings? Were they just repacked or are you just adjusting them?

Lou
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat;

You need to inspect the bearings closely. If you see wear tracks, pits, blueing, etc., you need to replace them. You also should look to see how far the inner race falls into the bearing shell, and also the bearing into the outer race. If the bearing cage falls deeply into these races - beyond flush with the outer surfaces, they are quite worn and should be replaced.

As for adjusting, I take a pair of vice grips, clamp them moderately on the split collar, and twist it fairly snug to make sure everything is seated. I then back if off till I get some "chuck" from the bearing. With one hand I wiggle the rotor while tightening the collar with the other. I tighten until I hear/feel just the slightest amount of play, then I snug the locking cap screw.

You should perform this wiggling at 12 o'clock with your fingers only. If you try to muscle the thing, and/or use 3 & 9 o'clock, you may enter in other extraneous and confusing forms of loosness such as tie rods, steering rack, etc. If you use two hands to wiggle it aggressively in the 12 & 6 positions, you may invoke ball joint, strut bushing, or even strut tower bearing play.

I mention these because it is easy to be fooled into thinking that these items are bearing play. You can chase your tail around for a long time until you realize this. It is exceedingly difficult to watch carefully, and wiggle at the same time. If you sense something else is causing play, get an assistant to do the wiggling!

How's that?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:57 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like John says, do the adjustment until it feels right, and keep an eye on it.

If it becomes loose in a short amount of time, replace the bearings with new ones of high quality.

gb

Quick Reply: front wheel bearings; still too loose after adjustment?