Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICTURES!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005 | 11:21 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

OK readers,

I guess that clarify myself othwise I am looking pretty stupid. I guess to the other 200 plus post viewers I already do . Kenny never really says what it is that he was doing a cam tower-off repair and belt install or a timing belt replacement. There is obviously a HUGE difference between the two.

Cam tower off like me, turn it and get it lined up before setting it. Belt replacement, I guess that I have to ask, why did Kenny stop stop turning the flywheel with the cam there in the first place?

Michael (still learning)
Old 03-07-2005 | 11:25 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Ken, as mentioned earlier, remember to remove the plugs. It's much easier to turn the engine over that way. If you have compressed air, blow the plug holes out before removing plugs to avoid dirt getting into the cylinders.
Old 03-07-2005 | 11:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes the cam turns at 1/2 crankshaft speed. Turn the crank once more around and the cam will move 180 degrees.
Old 03-08-2005 | 12:38 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i was doing a reinstall of my cam belt tensioner....the stud backed out. i had to take the belt off of the cam sprocket to get the tensioner out to properly clean the area so the loctite would stick. i was afraid that i bumped the gears and moved it so im making sure that im putting it on right. when i had the cam mark lined up, i could not see the flywheel mark. i got my girlfriend to help, and when we finally saw the flywheel mark, it was only when the cam mark was 180 off. rotate it so the cam mark lines up, and nothing there! i think the mark i WAS seeing was a scratch on the flywheel, because it didnt look like the cast in mark that i saw when the cam was at 180. so now im trying to make sure i am getting them lined up right.
Old 03-08-2005 | 12:51 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
i was doing a reinstall of my cam belt tensioner....the stud backed out. i had to take the belt off of the cam sprocket to get the tensioner out to properly clean the area so the loctite would stick. i was afraid that i bumped the gears and moved it so im making sure that im putting it on right. when i had the cam mark lined up, i could not see the flywheel mark. i got my girlfriend to help, and when we finally saw the flywheel mark, it was only when the cam mark was 180 off. rotate it so the cam mark lines up, and nothing there! i think the mark i WAS seeing was a scratch on the flywheel, because it didnt look like the cast in mark that i saw when the cam was at 180. so now im trying to make sure i am getting them lined up right.
Uh, I hope you weren't turning the cam and/or crankshaft with the belt off and the cam tower attached. If so, you're probably going to need new valves unless you got really really lucky.
Old 03-09-2005 | 12:38 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

thanks to painkiller for coming over and helping out while we had 2 inches of snow on our backs, and nine-44 for answering quick questions online for me, and michaelathome for messaging me with some info....and everyone else. id like to thank the academy for making my car run again. im definitly keeping the upper cover off for a little while to see whats going on. ill have the radiator and fans back in tomorrow to see if eveything still works right, and hopefully my seat will be here and i can drive it again.

Quick Reply: PICTURES!