Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat resistant paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heat resistant paint

I am planning on a weekend detailing engine compartment....I have seen painted intakes and cam towers.....I was wondering if should use just the flat black heat resistant paint on the cam tower....I would rather use gloss than flat.....and no I am not taking it out of the car (I am rather good with a brush)....I know it would be easier to do the tower cover and intake if they were out of the car but I am not undoing everything to get them out....I am going to do the intake with high temp aluminum paint....cam tower, too

I am also painting the engine bay gloss black (car used to be gold and PO never did the engine bay black....I don't want to risk a pressure wash of the bay so I am going to be a contorsionist and clean everything by hand and parts cleaner brushes....any suggestions
Old 03-07-2005, 03:57 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to Hijack the thread (still on topic), but.... Won't painting the intake make the intake less conductive to heat and therefore make everything hotter? I would think the paint would prevent the intake from properly cooling down and may actually cut down on your performance (even if by just a little bit)... Am I completly wrong here?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you're completely wrong, but I would think the heat from the cam tower will most likely radiate through the paint rather than be insulated by it. If one uses the wrong kind of paint, it can surely be heated enough to crack and peel off. Powdercoating would be the best way to do the cam tower without heat problems, but I don't think anyone who has spraypainted theirs correctly has had any problems.

Quick Reply: heat resistant paint