Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Troubleshooting shifting problem - no 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help Troubleshooting shifting problem - no 5th gear

I'm putting in a new tranny and have been having some shifting issues that need resolution.

The current status is:

Difficult shifting into 1st and 2nd - gets caught on the gate. Transmission shifts fine between 3rd and 4th. It goes into reverse, but pops out as soon as the clutch is released. The gear shift moves cleanly from reverse to 5th (and appears to be in the approprate position), but no gear engages when the clutch is released.

With the car on jackstands, I can manually put the car in 1st/2nd by pushing in the shift mechanism inward (towards the passenger side) and moving it fore and aft. Get a good solid actuation and both gears engage.

Shifting it into neutral, I can then pull "out" (towards the drivers side) on the shift mechanism - when I pull it back, the mechanishm moves and reverse engages, but when the clutch is released, it pops out of gear.

Again, pulling out on the mechanism to the full extent of its travel (as described above), I can move the mechanism to what feels to be all the way forward, but and no gears are engaged.

Looking at another unit off the car - if I pull the shaft indicated in picture all the way outward to the max of it's travel - I should be able to engage 5th/reverse. Conversely, if I pull it to the max of it's travel an can't engage 5th/reverse, does this mean that there is a problem on the 5th/reverse selector shaft, or am I missing something here?

Quick Reply: Help Troubleshooting shifting problem - no 5th gear