Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 01:47 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Would you buy this?

A little OT, but at least it's a German car...

While browsing at a Jaguar/Lotus dealer today we came across a 1998 BMW 323iS that was blue/tan. It was really a pretty car, had 74,000 miles, 5-speed and they were asking $12,900. Drove nice as well. Only thing that bothered me was that it had been lowered, had a custom exhaust, the 323iS logo was removed off the back with fake M badges outside and inside. The dealer claim it wasn't abused because they "knew the guy", but who would do all that work just to baby it around town.

Would you buy a car that had those performance modifications done to it? I know BMWs are meant to be driven, but I didn't really want one that has been abused. Would an abused car be more likely to suffer mechanical problems down the road?

Lastly, and this is a big one, would after market add ons like this detract from the value of the car? I offered them $9,000 to them, and kind of hinted that I didn't think it was worth as much because it wasn't really original anymore.

Thanks for the help, I don't subscribe to any BMW boards so I didn't know where else to turn for suggestions
Old 03-04-2005, 10:22 AM
ExMainer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hold off. My buddy picked up a 98 328is with a little more mileage than that and no tinkering was done to it. he picked it up for 10,000$

Not saying that isn't a good deal, but that much money for somthing thats been molested, I'd keep lookin, BMWs are everywhere. (I'm gonna get scalded for that, I know it)
At least not as rare as trying to find a decent running 44 with all the records.

Thats my two cents, of course, I'm not actually LOOKING at the car your talking about, so it really doesnt mean much, but I hope it helps you out.
Best of Luck to you, nothin better than a front engined german car
Old 03-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factor what it would run you to put back to "original" condition (stock springs, exhaust, badges) and see if it is a reasonable number. Example: if it would cost $2000 to fix everything at the dealer, have the dealer do the work (assuming you trust their work) and sell the car to you for $10K. That way the dealer has to stand behind their work, they can move the car, and you get what you want.

Although, the dealer probably knows they just have to wait a little while until someone else shows up with the money looking for a "modded" BMW.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

When I bought my Z28 it was lowered, had bigger sways, revalved bilsteins, SS/Vette rims, etc. it had a chip, CAI, MSD.

In the garage was a Z06. The PO liked to have stuff done to the car, and I dont think he abused it because of the awesome condition everything else was in, like no stone chips, etc. I didnt abuse it because I am a wuss.

The guy that bought it from me for his kid, well the kid may be a different story, but at least he started with a car that had 42k miles and was in awewsome condition.

look at the rest of the car. Is taking twisty mountain roads fast abuse? how bout a DE, is that abuse? Stoplight racing, thats probably abuse.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Heres a sweet 328i, although the mileage is kind high its very nice: (Ive checked it out personally)

http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com/27.htm
Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Jamie944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pcarfan944, I have been restoring a 93 325is that I bought from Texas. It has taken me nearly 3,000 to get the car back into good shape. The previous owner neglected it no doubt. Most people that drive them just like the 944 don't keep them in stock trim. Their are to many upgrades for all of us gearheads now. I am always looking to improve on what I have in my cars because there is always something better out there. I am working on the cosmetics of it now and looking at another couple of $k if I keep it and go that route. As far as a driving machine yes they are. With that inline 6 the car has power. Bolt on some M3 upgrades or aftermarket and it will handle just as good. I have come across endless bimmer sites on the net for whatever I want on it. If you want a bimmer and to upgrade with the best quality performance go to www.turnermotorsports.com they have the best. another good site is www.bavauto.com. for cheap OEM parts go to www.bimmerpartswholesale.com
I really like the car but it just isn't what I am wanting. I really am wanting a 944 so I am torn as to keep the car continue to fix it up and buy a 944 along the way. Or to sell or trade my car for a 944.
Whatever you decide happy motoring and if you have any questions or need any help fixing your car give me a shout. I have found good resources for that also.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this?