Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:46 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

And last but not least my oil leak problem.

I don't loose oil, on the last 3000 miles I lost or burned 1/2 liter of oil, what I consider nothing for my car (the car of my parents, 5 yr old, consumes that on less than 1000 miles).

But my car behaves like a dog, everywhere I park I leave a spot. And I hate this.

I checked and cleaned the ar from below, as good as you can do this in your own garage.

The oil on the left side came from my J-Boot problem, but this is solved. But on the right side I don't know where to start. There is "new" oil on the front but this might be a rest from the profis at the lube store (thanks to Porsche for mounting the oil filter upside down, german engineers!), but I am not sure about this.

But from there it is more or less around the oil pan gasket (which looks very good, so I don't think it comes from here) up to the end and around the shaft that is mounted there. I tried my best to clean it as good as possible, but there are so many corners that I can't reach very well. So I can't start with RTVing this area (my RTV is blue, so I don't want to cover too much). Any ideas how I can get this done.

And then another question, because my oil pan gasket looks fine. Could it be that the screws are leaking? Because on the screws there is always new oil?

Thank you very much

Thomas
Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pressure wash the engine thoroughly. (Put a baggie over the Cap/rotor) wait a few days. then run for 1/2 an hour then inspect the suspected leak source. Keep watching until the oil leak reappears- it may take a run or two.
Report back on your findings.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thomas, do you have the means to raise the front end of the car? (floor jack and jack stands). This would help to trace the leak.

I always remove the engine protection pans when changing the oil, but if the shop that changed yours didn't remove them first, there could still be a fair amount of oil on them dripping here and there. It wouldn't go on indefinitely though.

How long has this been happening?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:22 AM
89AZ944
Racer

Right side? I had weeping from the cam tower(fixed) and now I have a small head gasket leak next to the firewall that only shows up under pressure......both on the right side....
Old 03-05-2005, 02:54 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the balance shaft housing starting to leak
Old 03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Yep, this is the only way for me to come below the car, but I hate the feeling to lay below it. This was the only way to check where the oil comes approx. from.

I think removing the engine protection wouldn't be too wrong for me or I mean sound promising, because when I bought the car in Nov 04 the was no oil leak at all, only some old stuff. But as soon as I was driving the car, there were the oil leaks and I more or less changed the oil immediately because I had some other problems. And these shops always spill the oil from the filter somewhere. Maybe this helps. Is it a problem to drive without the engine protection, lets say for a week or so, to check?

About the time question, this is problematic. Shortly after I baught the car, I had oil on the cylinder head, not much but there was something, but this is fixed. Then I had lot's of oil (but it was no oil but a strange oil/fuel mixture from the J-Boot) on the left side, and on the right side it was always fine, more or less, it was dirty but nearly no leaking oil. Now that the left side is solved it seems that I have a lot of oil on the right side, maybe it is not so much, but I want to be leak free!.

Thanks

Thomas

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Thomas, do you have the means to raise the front end of the car? (floor jack and jack stands). This would help to trace the leak.

I always remove the engine protection pans when changing the oil, but if the shop that changed yours didn't remove them first, there could still be a fair amount of oil on them dripping here and there. It wouldn't go on indefinitely though.

How long has this been happening?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leaking oil on the cylinder head sounds like a blown cam tower or valve cover gasket. What year and model 944 is this?

You can drive without the engine protection pans temporarily, but I wouldn't recommend it long term, as it affects highway undercarriage airflow and engine cooling.

Quick Reply: Oil leak