Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to buy a car thats not for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Backerst
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to buy a car thats not for sale?

Ok so heres the deal. Over the summer I would see this car parked in the owners driveway. Now that its winter the car has retreated to the garage. Ive saved my pennies and dimes and now have what I consider a fair price. What are your takes on me walking up ringing the doorbell and asking is the car in your garage for sale? I know some people in the neighborhood and they say the owner is an older guy in his 70s so its likely that he does not really drive it much anymore. One side of me says go for it while the other says hes gonna think im a 944 stalker if he wanted to sell itd be in the classifides. How would you take it if someone came to your house asking to buy your car?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Curt911
Pro

I'd approach him, let him know you've noticed/admired the car for a while and you'd really like to buy the car if he ever thinks about selling it and let him know you saved up your $$$ to do so.

Go For It!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a couple people stop and offer to buy mine before, a couple times at U-Fix-It the owner came out and offered to buy mine. I always took it as a compliment, and was never offended by it.
Unless he is particularily attached to the car, or sees your offer as an insult, he shouldn't be offended.
I think it's a little invasive coming up to his door offering to buy it, but if you see the guy out in his yard or something...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVERYTHING is for sale, if the price is right. That's the key though, the price. Come offer me blue book on my Conquest, and I'll laugh at you. But if you offered something rediculous for it, I might consider it.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I have gotten multiple offers for mine. I occasionally get emails from people that saw my P-Car profile and are interested. I have also had people stop me at gas stations, etc...

HAHA, i have the info and VIN on a very special Testarossa. If i had the money i would have bought it. Unfortunately, i didnt have the money. (not even close) I do however intend on making on offer on that certain car one day.

I would ask. You never know what happens. Just dont be weird. And dont say it like a joke, "haha hey man nice car, how much ya want for it!"

Good day sir, ive been looking for a nice 944 (or whatever car) and i noticed you had one. I was wondering if you would consider an offer for it. If not at this time, ide really appreciate being first on the list when you decide to let it go. (i am very familiar with them, etc... and i would really enjoy taking care of that car!)

Be sincere.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Several people have tried to buy mine. A couple even had the money. I always take it as a compliment.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Kindly leave a business card on the windshield stating you are interested in making an offer. Leave a callback number. Or, write down the offer amount in the card..awaiting a response. I get an average of two offers on my 951 every three months. People are suddenly beginning to realize the true potential of these avant-garde cars. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Ask him. He will probably enjoy talking to you about the car even if he has other plans for it. Worst thing that can happen is he will say no and close the door. He will probably be relieved you are not trying to sell something!

Lou
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Ive had women come up to me and ask if my body is for sale. Happens all the time. We negotiate a price and they do whatever they want with me. Im not consciously look for sales, but when you have something people want, you know, thats business.

Go for it mate.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 944 like this, ended up getting a great deal on it, and then selling it, to help fund my upgrades! I say do it!!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 PM
schumi
Instructor

I think it would be unwise to offer to buy the car at any price unless you have some idea of its mechanical condition and what it needs done (and at this age, all these cars need stuff even if they have 2 miles on them). I would not buy any car this age without a prepurchase unless the price was ridiculously low in which case I'd expect it needed or would soon need several $k of work.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
AZS2
Racer

You should definitely ask. I missed out on an old Toyota Landcruiser that sat on a flat tire in a neighbors driveway. I owned one at the time and eyeballed his for a year. One day I saw another neighbor washing it in his driveway. I asked him if he just knocked on the door to buy and he did. How much? "$500, I just put a new battery in it and aired up the tire". I still kick myself and that was 7 years ago.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in a similar situation and had a slight upper hand as my father knew the owner (and we lived within a mile of eachother). Great condition '86 944. Perfect paint, one owner. The guy simply wanted to much money for the car, he knew nothing about them. Personally i would just knock on the door, introduce yourself as someone who lives down the block and ask if he was at all interested in selling the car.

Granted the car i wanted i didnt get (i ended up finding an almost better one) for half the price, it was good to be able to see the car upclose inperson.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would def. go talk to him about it. I agree with Blue S2's method. It does not hurt to talk to the guy.

I also have had people make me offers on my car and like others have mentioned I find it as a compliment. He may even jsut enjoy laking about his car. Heck i mean the worst thing that can ahppen is that he says no.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

That happens to me every summer for my Audi, happened with the 928 this past fall. The guy pulled up and wanted to know if I would sell - the engine was all apart. He said "well, whenever you get it back together"

Quick Reply: Is it possible to buy a car thats not for sale?