Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender vents on the 944...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear fender vents on the 944...

OK, so I was cruising through this photo album . Came across this car:

Me no like the vents, but do you think they actually do anything? Or strictly rice? Brake cooling sure, but do the rear brakes even need cooling? Please, I beg the vast knowledgable forum, why, why would this be done?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:53 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a pic of a blue car with boxster vents, I believe. They were much lower, right in front of the wheel arch, behind the door. Looked much better than this, in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely no function whatsoever. In fact, I would be willing to bet they INCREASE drag on the car.
The only time that vents on the side are useful are if the car is mid- or rear-engine, and it requires ventilation and/or forced induction. And even then, under the fenders the car would be designed to allow the air to flow through.
The wheel wells are sealed off on our cars, so the air wouldn't even reach the brakes, and get trapped inside, increasing drag.
So the answer = RICE!
In the owner's mind, it probably looked "cool".
It's kinda like on Mustangs or Dodge Rams, when they have the fake hood scoops; you go up close and there's not vent, it's just a piece of plastic. No function!
I do kinda like the rest of the car though, the colour, the cup mirrors, and even the wheels are kinda badass...
Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if the air does go somewhere instead of getting trapped, I bet it goes underneath the car, which if course decreases downforce/increases lift.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:28 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Epic is on to something;

Letting air in does NOTHING to increase flow unless provision is made for it to escape. IF the duct went the through the wheelwell and was attached to a hose that blew right into the back of the rotor, and the air was then pulled through the wheel by the vented rotor vanes, then it MIGHT actually do something.

He would have been smarter to vent the BACK of the quarter**, not the front! This kind of mod goes much farther back than "Rice." It is purely STUPID. Ugly too!

**Something more like this...

Quick Reply: Rear fender vents on the 944...