Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weltmeister throttle cam...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
spedracer18
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weltmeister throttle cam...

i was just browsing performanceproducts.com and came across the weltmeister throttle response cam. thing is i already bought one for about ten dollars more, but oh well. i read the description and it says "for manual transmissions only". problem is i have an auto. i havent installed it yet (the little "nub" in the wire doesnt seem to want to fit), but i was wondering what effect it would have on my car if i did install it. I have a 1983 porsche 944 na. any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

james
Old 03-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Automatic cars use an extra 'nub' for the kick down feature when depressing the pedal full travel. The cam will still work, you just need to modify it slightly with a dremel or just a file. Basically all you need to do is remove part of the circle that the nub slides into. I have a picture of what exactly needs to be done...trying to find it right now.

Edit - From an old thread of mine,

"Correct me if im wrong, but i believe that cam will work with automatic cars. You simply will need a file or dremel tool to remove a small amount of material on the edge of the cam where the drum for the cable fits into. The only difference is that the cable loops around the entire cam for the addition of the kickdown feature on the automatics. The problem is that the drum stop will not fit into the notch cut out because of this. Filing or cutting one side of the notch a little wider will allow the drum to slide in.

Refer to this picture of the cam that was on my automatic 924S. You can get an idea of what needs to be changed...

"
Old 03-03-2005, 07:12 AM
tkacki
Instructor

Techno,

Oh. What a nice air filter on the picture....... How did You solve the problem of supporting AFM to body after removal of OE air box ? Is it part of the AFM to filter connector ?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, the air filter was actually off eBay. Cost a total of $5 shipped. I only used it for about a week for novelty then went back to the air box. I used a long piece of metal and bolted it to the airbox bracket (Which also holds the upper coolant hose). I just looped the metal underneath the filter to hold it above the alternator. I have seen another way of doing this on an eBay auction, someone used fairly long zip ties and looped it through that same bracket and around the cone filter. Seems like a better solution to my idea.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:36 AM
spedracer18
Racer

Thanks

I was trying to fit it in there but it just wouldnt fit. i see now why and what i have to do. i was wary of doing that if it would adversely effect the auto transmissions. Awesome picture, again i appreciate it.

thanks

james
Old 05-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Berkeleyg
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Automatic cars use an extra 'nub' for the kick down feature when depressing the pedal full travel. The cam will still work, you just need to modify it slightly with a dremel or just a file. Basically all you need to do is remove part of the circle that the nub slides into. I have a picture of what exactly needs to be done...trying to find it right now.

Edit - From an old thread of mine,

"Correct me if im wrong, but i believe that cam will work with automatic cars. You simply will need a file or dremel tool to remove a small amount of material on the edge of the cam where the drum for the cable fits into. The only difference is that the cable loops around the entire cam for the addition of the kickdown feature on the automatics. The problem is that the drum stop will not fit into the notch cut out because of this. Filing or cutting one side of the notch a little wider will allow the drum to slide in.

Refer to this picture of the cam that was on my automatic 924S. You can get an idea of what needs to be changed...

"
Hi,

know we are 17 years down the line, but do we still have this photo ?
The following users liked this post:
944Keith (07-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Weltmeister throttle cam...